walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean

Glas Tulaichean

Postby Redrock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:41 am

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 29/03/2011

Time taken: 5.9 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 691m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another short day with a good forecast presented itself and after carefully checking over the forecast Mrs R and I decided to set off to Glenshee and tackle Glas Tulaichean. I'd seen it from the north east on An Socach the week before and it looked inviting covered in snow. We parked at the Dalmunzie House Hotel and paid our £2 parking fee - definitely worth saving a 4 km road walk! And we set off up through Glenlochsie Farm and then up the valley following the dismantled railway. Stangely it starts off in the valley bottom just beside the road then seems to appear 10 metres higher up on the hillside to the right.

P1050874.JPG
Beside the dimantled railway in Glenlochsie (behind me!)

Climbing up to the railway at it's new higher lever we discovered that it must have zig-zagged up the hillside somehow. This was some unusual railway! It must have shunted up the hill before going forward at the higher level!

P1050875.JPG
The railway at it's new level

Anyway we found the old track to be good walking and soon we came in sight of the old Glenlochsie Lodge.

P1050877.JPG
Heading for Glenlochsie Lodge

It has clearly seen better days. But it is now well avoided - one day the roof will come down probably when the snow is on it! Our way forward headed up the track onto the south ridge behind the lodge.

P1050879.JPG
Glenlochsie Lodge with the track ahead

So it was all up hill from then on. I must admit that landrover tracks are not may favourite routes up hills. They do get you up there quickly - even when walking. But they always seem to make it seem a bit of a slog. Or is it just me? We even tried walking on the path beside the track but it still felt like walking beside a road!

P1050895.JPG
Climbing up Glas Tulaichaen

But in time we reached the top and were greeted by a friendly guy from Falkirk who had passed us on the way up. He kindly took our picture at the summit - which is much a much more civilsied way to get a group picture than setting the camera up on a rock!

P1050901.JPG
Summit of Glas Tulaichaean

Despite threatening snow showers - which were not forecast - we got some great views from the summit and on the way down.

P1050897.JPG
Carn an Righ from Glas Tulaichean

P1050915.JPG
An Socach from Glas Tulaichean

P1050913.JPG
Summit of Glas Tulaichean

We decided to descend the SSE ridge which seemed to have a reasonable gradient and there was even some sort of vehicle track! There was still plenty of snow on the corrie rim.

P1050916.JPG
Heading for the South-Southeast ridge

P1050921.JPG
Snow on the Corrie rim

There were good views of the Ben Lawers range and Beinn A'Ghlo on the way down.

P1050923.JPG
Ben Lawers to Schiehallion

P1050924.JPG
Beinn A'Ghlo - with the snow clouds clearing

Even the hills of Fife could be seen in the distance

P1050928.JPG
Looking towards Fife

The descent down the SSE ridge proved a good route - but it did get a bit steeper and rather overgrown as we descended towards the lodge. But I might climb the hill this way next time - and avoid the track.

P1050937.JPG
Down the SSE ridge

We even found a bridge - not as rickety as it looks :? - which took us back to the track.
P1050938.JPG
Over the Bridge!

Soon it was back down the glen to the buffers - and then home! :D

P1050945.JPG
At the buffers!
Last edited by Redrock on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Glas Tulaichean

Postby Valerie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 am

Looks like you had a great day and it's good to see the summit. It was really white and misty when we were there and I didn't realise the Coire edge was so close! Now I know why Bod put Ritchie on his lead and told me not to go beyond the trig point. We also considered coming down the same way you did but the weather really closed in on us and we decided to retrace our steps back to the lodge.
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:89
Wainwrights:182   Islands:16

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:35 am

Great report and some cracking pics, that bridge sure does look rickety but I'll take your word for it :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:37 am

That looked a fine walk and the pictures did you proud. :) Its amazing where the put the railways in those days, or was it for mining? :? I was also surprised to see so much snow and reminds us to be careful out there! :D
Also great views all the way to Fife and the Lomond Hills...I'm sure I saw my house !! lol
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Redrock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am

Jockstar wrote:That looked a fine walk and the pictures did you proud. :) Its amazing where the put the railways in those days, or was it for mining? :? I was also surprised to see so much snow and reminds us to be careful out there! :D
Also great views all the way to Fife and the Lomond Hills...I'm sure I saw my house !! lol

Hi Jockstar! I have just realised that the date on my walk reset when I went in to edit the details. Sorry about that - I will put it right later. It was on 29 March when we ventured up there! So there's probably a lot less snow now! But you never know! :o It's amazing how you can see the Lomond Hills from so many of the Munros. It could almost make you homesick. :lol:

But that Corrie rim was close Beannierocks! A few long steps onto the cornice and it would be easy to go wheee! :shock: So you were wise to keep well away and keep Ritchie on the lead! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:44 am

Just to clear up that Richie is Bod's dog and not mine - though he can come home with me anytime !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Redrock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:42 pm

That was me trying to reply to two people at once, Jockstar. Ritchie is, of course, Bod and Bennierocks' dog and I think they plan to keep him. :lol: Last I heard Ritchie had bagged over 30 Munros! Very impressive! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Having a giggle at you guys! And the railway line that you have discussed (like the buffer Redrock!), it was used purely for the estate to take guests up to the Lodge to return later with persons and carcases. Presumably an odd bottle of whisky made it up those there rails of pre 1956ish. We found all this out whilst frequenting the bar at Dalmunzie for 1/2 hour before retreating to The Spittal for a bar meal. A fine way to finish off a fine Glenshee mountain day. Cool pics, particularly the bridge and the buffer as it always good to supplement the the mountain expanses with the features and fun details.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland