walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Langdale Pikes & High Raise

Langdale Pikes & High Raise

Postby Derek T » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blea Rigg, Harrison Stickle, High Raise (Central Fells), Loft Crag, Pavey Ark, Pike o'Stickle, Sergeant Man, Thunacar Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Harrison Stickle, High Raise (Central Fells), Pike o' Stickle

Date walked: 15/04/2011

Time taken: 7

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 996m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I worked this route out using Wainwiright's descriptions and thought it would be a relatively easy day out. Oops!

The initial ascent to Stickle Tarn reminded me of the tourist path to Scafell Pike. Unrelenting. By the time I reached the tarn I was in thick fog and headed east towards Blea Rigg. Visibility was about 20m so it was a complete PITA trying to find the summit amongst all those pikes. I eventually reached what felt like high ground and found a family with a Wainwright book arguing about whether or not they were on the summit. The clagg lifted for a few seconds and there, just 100 yards away, was another summit cairn that looked higher so we all headed for that. I'm counting it as bagged.

I took a good look at the map and compass and headed through the peat hags towards Sergeant Man. I reached the summit, still in thick fog and headed north across the wet stuff towards High Raise. Peering through the mist I spotted the summit cairn and took a slight deviation right. As I approached the cairn it lifted its head and looked at me. It was a sheep. Hey, ho. I looked at the map and decided to turn west in an attempt to meet the path, which I did. High Raise summit, a flask of tea and a chicken and cheese roll were conquered within a few minutes.

On leaving High Raise I looked at the map (the most distant thing I could see) and set off back along the path that I had ascended by. 20 minutes later I was back at Sergeant Man :( - 180 degree turn and back to High raise - I then found the path to Thunacar Knott and set off into the mist. Just as I reached the depression between High Raise and Thunacar Knott there was a huge waft of wind and all of a sudden there was no fog. High Raise, Sergeant Man and Thunacar Knott were all visible. I fumbled around in the bag for the camera, turned it on, pointed it and - woosh - fog. Bugger. Trudge, trudge, trudge through the wet stuff and in no time I was at the summit of Thunacar Knott. Then - woosh! all the fog was gone. The Langdale Pikes were dead ahead and looked quite scary but I marched on hoping to get to Harrison Stickle before the fog returned. I did, and bagged the three Pikes plus Pavey Ark in the sunshine.

Pike o Stikle reminded me of An Stuc. A great little scramble up and down at significant altitude. PoS is probably more exposed on 3 sides than AS but the scramble on the accessible side is quite similar.

When I reached my final summit, Pavey Ark, the fog suddenly reappeared. I set off to the north west looking for the path but didn't find it so I headed down into Bright Beck. Just what you need after 6 hours of walking in fog, crags and bogs - a descent from 650m with no path and zero visibility :-(

An hour later I reached Stickle Tarn and re-joined the path. 350m down the stone steps wasn't the best part of the day but it had to be done.

This was a hard walk. The fog didn't help but I can't help thinking it would be a challenging round even in clear weather.

So that's another 8 bagged, and I've got 3 days to go :-)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Langdale Pikes & High Raise

Postby Derek T » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 am

Some photos...
Langdale and Windermere.JPG

Harrison Stickle.JPG

Pike o Stickle.JPG
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 am

As I approached the cairn it lifted its head and looked at me. It was a sheep
:lol: :lol:

Great report Derek and three great pics too, shame about the clag doing more coming than going but at least it went for a short while :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby yokehead » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Great report and well done, especially in those conditions. :D

I do like the moving cairn! :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby canisp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:39 pm

A fine round, great photo’s plus a hefty bag of Wainwrights. Very interested in your report as i hope to do Sergeants Man and Blea Rigg this week, but i don’t think i’ll be following your entire route.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland