walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fairfield Horseshoe

Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby Phooooey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag, Heron Pike, High Pike (Eastern Fells), Low Pike, Nab Scar

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag

Date walked: 17/04/2011

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1048m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fairfield Horseshoe
Rydal Bridge - Nab Scar - Heron Pike - Great Rigg - Fairfield - Hart Crag - Dove Crag - High Pike - Low Pike - Rydal Park - Rydal Bridge

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The sun tried all day to break through the hazy cloud which meant perfect fell walking weather as it never got too hot and the light breeze was very welcome on the uphill stretches.
An early start saw me as second car in the Rydal Bridge car park at about 8:30. This was packed to the rafters by the time I returned at 14:15 with Under Loughrigg & Rydal Park being very popular low level haunts in the sunshine.
The climb up Nab Scar from Rydal Hall was a fairly steep start but the views just keep getting better the higher you get ... the view back to Windermere was great today and the shot of Damson over Rydal Water was my favourite today.
PICT0569.JPG
Nab Scar from Rydal Mount
PICT0571.JPG
Damson & Rydal Water
The uphill sections on this side of Rydal Valley are fairly tough going and energy sapping especially Great Rigg.
PICT0575.JPG
Heron Pike
PICT0581.JPG
Great Rigg
The views out to Helvellyn over Dollywagon Pike & out over St. Sundays Crag are spectacular from Fairfield.
PICT0586.JPG
Helvellyn from Fairfield
PICT0587.JPG
St Sundays Crag from Fairfield

At Fairfield, after a wander about taking pics on the top we headed almost back on ourselves to the head of Hart Crag and the descent and ascent back up to Dove Crag.
PICT0590.JPG
Heading out to Dove Crag
This looks steeper than it is and was comparatively easy compared to some of the previous tests. A long walk back following the wall over High & Low pikes followed, with some quite tricky, steep drops (I had to help Damson down on one section which is a first).
PICT0604.JPG
Tough Descent
PICT0593.JPG
View from High Pike
PICT0594.JPG
Damson on High Pike
PICT0603.JPG
Damson takes a rest on stile at Low Pike

Just before Nook End Farm we cut right down Scandale Beck where Damson had a dip to cool off as the sun had finally broken through and was quite strong for our stroll back through Rydal Park and past the front of the hall.
PICT0606.JPG
Rydal Park

This is a classic in the heart of Lakeland and should not be missed by anybody fit enough to take the challenge.
PICT0576.JPG
Fairfield Horseshoe from Heron Pike
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 pm

What a beautiful looking walk, some great pics of the stunning scenery too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Cheers Chris,
It's amazing what a bit of nice weather does to improve your photos. :lol:
Phooooey

Postby skuk007 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Great pics, this is one of the best walks I've done in the Lakes so far. On a clear day like you had the views all over are pretty stunning.

Did it on a warm day but I particularly remember the cold wind blowing over the top of Fairfield which had me diving into my bag for hat and gloves pretty sharpish.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Derek T » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I did the same round this afternoon! Will post a report and photos later tonight ;-)
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Only needed to throw the fleece on yesterday. Weather was warm enough to not bother with gloves but a cap might have been advisable as my forehead is slightly red today.
Looking forward to seeing somebody elses pics of the same walk and to see if the drop off Low Pike was an adventure for them too.
Phooooey

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland