walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth Munros

White Mounth Munros

Postby peterpolo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 16/04/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1570m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

*updated for correct date and actual route*

Cycled the first 3.5 miles to the Glas allt Shiel Bothy on the Friday,

Stay in the bothy on friday night, walked the route on Saturday, starting with Broad Cairn and finishing with Lochnagar (13 miles) and cycled back out from the bothy again.

Weather was good, Broad Cairn was cloudy, but it soon cleared.

Time given allows for the cycle in and out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by peterpolo on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterpolo
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Re: White Mounth Munros

Postby Alastair S » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Nice way to do this - 20km of walking rather than 29 for the more usual route. Which way round did you go?
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby peterpolo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Alastair - updated the post to give the direction. The climb up past the waterfall route is tough, so we went up onto the Broad Cairn first. Visibility was great, we could see East and West Lomond, down in Fife.
peterpolo
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 am

Nice idea to cycle in Peterpolo. That wasn't an option for us as we also done the corbet Conachcraig on our round. It was a long slog of the hills though :D
monty

Postby Alastair S » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for the update Peter. Toying with the idea of attempting to MTB to Broad Cairn some time in the summer. Don't expect to cycle all the way but will be interesting to see how much I can do on the bike.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 am

Hi, I climbed Lochnagar last Sunday - weather was great. Still looking forward to doing the remaining 4 Munros and this circle looks like a nice option :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby peterpolo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Your cycle would certainly be tough, but the descent would be amazing! I've had my bike most of the way up Mount Keen and it took very little time at all to get bck down Glen Tanar . I was considering trying the cycle up Mount Battock via Clachnaben... I scoped out the path up clachnaben and there'd be a lot of pushing on the way up after the trees, but looks rideable most of the way down if you don't mind the steps. Now I need to see what like the landrover track from Clachnaben to Mount Battock is! It looks level, but if it's soft it'll be hard going.
peterpolo
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland