walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conachcraig

Conachcraig

Postby maddjock » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:15 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 12/07/2008

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat 12th January 2008 and I was in a very cold Ballater for an ascent of Conachcraig, a Corbett at 2808 ft. From Ballater we travel to Glen Muick and the (extremely busy) car park at the end of this road. It is not yet 10 am, it is -5C and there are well over 50 cars in the car park already!
Booted up, we follow the long line of fellow hillwalkers on the very deep snowy path. This same path is used for the ascent of Lochnagar, a Munro 3 km west of Conachcraig, and would be extremely hard going in this conditions if 100 people hadnt gone ahead of us already that day. As it was, following in the footsteps of others made it slightly easier and reduced the depth of snow.
The sun has not long risen and already it promises to be a beautiful day, with barely a cloud overhead in the sky.
At 700m height, the path now splits, with all footprints taking the Lochnagar path and a white blanket of untouched snow awaiting us on the final approach to the summit of Conachcraig. ImageWith no clear path to follow, we begin climbing the steep slopes.
We make it to the summit pretty quickly and with so many cars down in the valley, it is wonderful to have the hill to ourselves, and although Lochnagar is very very tempting, we'll leave it for another day.
The descent is very quick, and all too soon we're back at the cars.

A beautiful beautiful day out, sunshine and snow. Not a particularly exciting mountain, but with nice views over towards Lochnagar. Image
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: Conachcraig

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Great photos - fantastic depth of field on the first one especially. Do you carry a tripod into the hills?
We had similar alpine conditions on Tolmount and Tom Buidhe around a month later.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Conachcraig

Postby maddjock » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:42 am

alpine conditions, that was the phrase I was looking for...
I used to take a cheap lightweight tripod with me, although the last coupla times I have just used my rucksack to balance the camera on, its a lot safer than risking the tripod blowing over in some of the winds I 've encountered in the hills..a lot less hassle also without trying to adjust the legs with freezing hands. :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland