walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond- A more than agreeable little amble

Ben Lomond- A more than agreeable little amble

Postby soulminer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 19/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After recent events and a cut-short holiday going back to work on Monday was to say the least a BUMMER!! - Only one day in and then two off- definately not a bummer :D My wife had requested that I don't disappear with my Bivi to some far flung wilderness, so I agreed- bummer again!
Having been to the Carn Mairg Group on Sunday with Doogz,Nelson and Al I was looking for a pleasant wee stroll in the sun for Tuesday- and possibly Wed( hopefully not a bummer :) ) Doogz suggested some of the Luss Grahams-sounds good,but decided on the view from my bedroom :lol:
After a wee nap up at the same as my wife(poor soul going to work- bummer, but not for me :lol: :lol: ) set off after sorting out the 8 hrs of a caffeine free bloodstream.
Arrived at The Visitors Centre around 0815, boots on and off up the Trade route. Ben Lomond was my first Munro- Aug 14th 2005, walking in from Kinlochard, over Lomond across to Cruinn a' Bheinn and down the zig-zag path to the W.H.way and on to Inversnaid- with a slight deviation for a dip in the Loch first 8) So this is the first walk up since then, and a different route to boot :)
A view from far away,

It was now getting warmer, but the mist was starting to roll in took a refreshment break and a couple of photos

Up over the rises onto somewhat flatter terrain and had passed three groups in that time , it was going to be busy :!: Spotted another group ahead of me and after a short time caught up with them, spoke for a couple of minutes then headed off up the zigzags and on towards the corrie rim.
The view back,

The view ahead,

More mist rolling in,

The corrie rim,

A short walk ahead and the summit looking lonely, a fine walk with fine conditions.

Stayed at the top for ages, and the people I stopped to speak to earlier arrived. Talked for a wee while and the off down the Ptarmigan Ridge.

An enjoyable route down with the sun beaming gloriously.
A few views,

So tempted by this,

The rest of the route down was certainly busier than the ascent , about 20/25 in all.
I was lucky, concidering the traffic, to catch this little fella( I'm sure someone will correct me and tell me it is female :lol: ), it was only a figure of speech :lol: A few of them about along with some rodents of an unidentified species.

A hazy Loch Lomond,

And a final photo from near the car park

Changed and heading homeward for 12-45, that's what I can say is a successful mornings walk. Hope the weather holds for maybe another 2moro 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

Re: Ben Lomond- A more than agreeable little amble

Postby nathan79 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:20 pm

we may have passed each other without knowing it! I arrived at the car park about 12:45. Currently perched on my boot in rowardennan enjoying a coffee in the sunshine before the drive back to the east.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby soulminer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Were you parked near the council lorry, next to a green Chevvy estate?
soulminer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:40 pm

looks a beautiful walk, great report and pics, love those early shots with the mist hanging round the hills and the corrie rim :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm

soulminer wrote:Were you parked near the council lorry, next to a green Chevvy estate?

My camera tells me i was an hour out with my time. It was just before 12 i got there and 12 i set off.

I love how a hill can go from being shrouded in cloud to sun-drenched in such a short space of time. Sometimes Scottish weather is a good thing. About to start on a short report and posting pics now.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland