walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A walk fit for the royals

Postby joenorris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/04/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 31.8 km

Ascent: 1436m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fresh off the back of a walk on the Ben Lawers ridge, I decided to go and complete the East Mounth with a walk up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach and the Lochnagar from Auchallater. (The reason for the report's title will be explained in due course).

So I set off from the carpark at Auchallater, from which a large track leads up Glen Callater, following the Callater Burn, to the Lochcallater lodge (0h50m). The glen is stunning, and has a surprising feeling of remoteness, partly because, as I later learned, the overwhelming majority of walkers approach Lochnagar from Glen Muick, leaving this route fairly quiet.

SE up Glen Callater

A nice path leads up the hillside from the lodge, and all the way round to just below the first summit, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor (2h00m). A short walk off of the path was the summit, from which there were good views of Carn an Tuirc to the South and the remaining summits of the day.

SE up Glen Callater from above Loch Callater

SW across Loch Callater

Carn an Tuirc across Glen Callater

Creag an Loch and Meall an t-Slugain from path up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

E from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor - Carn an t-Sagairt Beag, The Stuic, Lochnagar and Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach

S from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

From the summit, unable to resist the temptation to have a peek at the crags below The Stuic, I descended down a grassy slope to the NE towards Carn an t-Sagairt Beag (a smaller mound between t-Sagairt Mor and The Stuic). A plateau led across from the smaller hill's summit towards the crags of The Stuic. Stunning views of the crags and cornices made the detour 100% worthwhile. Following the edge of the corrie to the top of The Stuic, a quick pop across easy terrain brought me to the second summit, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach (2h45m).

Looking back down the NW ridge

From this summit, I rejoined the edge of the corrie below The Stuic, getting some fantastic views again, this time from the other side.

My route eventually collided with the main path leading up to both summits of Lochnagar (I reached the larger summit after 3h30m).

The Stuic from Lochnagar summit

With my legs still feeling alright and great visibility, I decided to take (yet another) detour towards the mound at the SE end of the Lochnagar corrie - Cuidhe Crom. This was mainly to get some good views of the crags below the Lochnagar summit, as the grandeur of the cliffs cannot fully, in my opinion, be appreciated from the main Lochanagar summit. Following the edge of the corrie again, there were some fantastic views looking back towards the summit, and down into the corrie with it's stunning lochan. Cuidhe Crom (4h00m) actually provided a great spot for lunch - away from the crowded main summit of Lochnagar, and with some great views.

S from Cuidhe Crom

Lochnagar from Cuidhe Crom

SE from Cuidhe Crom

All that was left was a long trudge back to Glen Callater and the A85. Nice grassy (and at times, boggy) slopes led all the way back round the southern edge of the Lochnagar summits, and eventually rejoined the main path passing The Stuic. From here, it was a simple matter of following the path back below the two earlier Munro summits, and down to Glen Callater.

Here came the most unusual part of the walk, however. Having adjusted to seeing nobody on the Glen Callater route so far, it came as quite a surprise to see a figure heading up towards the first summit from Glen Callater (bearing in mind it was almost 3pm at this point). But, low and behold, it wasn't just any enthusiastic mountaineer, it was the heir to the throne, Prince Charles himself! Whilst exchanging greetings with him on the path, I did (at least) a double-take - he was definitely not who I was expecting to see up in the hills, particularly completely on his own. But I could imagine there would be no better escape from the media hubbub surrounding his family at the moment, than the fresh air and stunning scenery of this area.

Still fresh with bewilderment, I reached the Lochcallater lodge after 6h15m. And from there it was a simple walk back along Glen Callater to the car park.

Callater Burn

Callater Burn

A great walk overall - significantly longer than I originally anticipated (due mostly to my enthusiasm for detours). Still, I would recommend to anybody doing Lochnagar to approach it from this route - it provides a much less busy and more peaceful route, without sacrificing the quality of path or scenery.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by joenorris on Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Re: A walk fit for the royals

Postby Left Behind » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!

Great report btw. :)
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby RicKamila » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 pm

joenorris wrote:Having adjusted to seeing nobody on the Glen Callater route so far, it came as quite a surprise to see a figure heading up towards the first summit from Glen Callater (bearing in mind it was almost 3pm at this point). But, low and behold, it wasn't just any enthusiastic mountaineer, it was the heir to the throne, Prince Charles himself! Whilst exchanging greetings with him on the path, I did (at least) a double-take - he was definitely not who I was expecting to see up in the hills, particularly completely on his own. But I could imagine there would be no better escape from the media hubbub surrounding his family at the moment, than the fresh air and stunning scenery of this area.

But how many snipers would there be hiding in the hills watching you say hello to the future King?? 8) Are his ears as big as they look? :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

cracking report joe, timely too as I was looking for a different route to the 3 munros at the far end of loch muick having done broad cairn and lochnagar both from glen muick....this looks ideal - thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby joenorris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:44 pm

To be honest, he was pretty much the spitting image of the caricatured cartoons you see in the newspapers - red face, big ears and very mumbly voice! And I was conscious that somebody somewhere was probably watching through binoculars, or a satellite feed! Still, good to see he's out and about.

Glad the report is helpful, Chris, let us know how your interpretation of the route goes!
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Postby kinley » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 pm

;)
kinley

Postby Alastair S » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Wow there's a co-incidence. HRH makes habit of coming up to Dee-side for Easter so its not too surprising to see him oot 'n' aboot on his estate at this time of year. The co-incidence is that I did the exact same route last year and also meet HRH. He actually offered me a lift in his shiny Range Rover (I turned him down as I was only a km from getting back to my car). TR over here & HRH snub over here :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland