walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A real hill! Beinn an Lochain

A real hill! Beinn an Lochain

Postby Rossco » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 21/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 5.4 km

Ascent: 697m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well after my fairly easy introduction to hill walking a few days ago, I decided I wanted something a little less hilly and a little more rocky!

My dad mentioned Beinn an Lochain and when looking it up, it looked right up my alley. I was not disappointed!

DSC04909.JPG
A view from the layby at the start just next to the river. I've cycled up Glen Kinglas before and never really stopped to see how beautiful it was.

DSC04922.JPG
After the early walk I was feeling quite comfortable. Looking up from here, the hill looks amazing. I decided to take my DSLR with me which was extra weight but thought it would be worth it to get some good shots of this rocky beast.

DSC04927.JPG
Not long later though, I'm greeted with this view! It looked so steep to me, I had no idea how I would manage up but I plodded on. And of course, the path was there and quite pleasant actually. Some good climbing and grabbing sections which I enjoyed.

DSC04948.JPG
Eventually reached the top. When I seen the view of the first cairn (from the opposite side of this photograph obviously), I actually let out a sigh of relief! Walked over to the second cairn to add a rock and a good photo op.

DSC04933.JPG
Took a wee detour down the west side to get shelter from the wind and a nice spot in the sun for lunch. Must have lay there for a good hour before making my way back down.

For my second hill, I absolutely loved this. I'm definitely looking into doing more in this style. The steep, rocky nature of it was fascinating to look at and a great sense of achievement when you reach the top.

Beinn-an-Lochain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Re: A real hill! Beinn an Lochain

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Good effort Rossco and some nice pics too - well done on capping your second :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:39 pm

well done rossco, this was my first real hill too, been back up since and will go back again.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am

Well done. Was up there in the 17th just a few days before you. Second time I've been up there as I really liked this hill. There's quite a few round there like that. Try The Brack or even some of the Munros in the area as they are all very similar. Nice pics too :)
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby trekpete » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:35 pm

It's a gem of a hill for sure and gives a good short day out. Been up it 4 times myself and there are plenty more in this area well worth a trip.
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Fantastic hill, was up it the day before you, great fun.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Rossco » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at The Brack but I think I'm going for Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnairn next. Stay tuned! :D
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 pm

What a great first hill/mountain, great stuff. Was up Beinn Narnain last weekend and lodged my report...cheers the noo
Rossco wrote:Cheers guys, I'll have a look at The Brack but I think I'm going for Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnairn next. Stay tuned! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland