walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:09 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 16/04/2011

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1297m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Almost slept in again, but we were up and out of the house by 9.10am, after hoping for 8.00am (done no bad really!). We were heading up the new path by 11.30 (me with my bought water after forgetting my trusty Sigg bottle). The intention was Beinn Narnain, then Beinn Ime and the possibilty of the Cobbler. (I had a temptation for heading to the magnificent Cobbler first, but we stuck to the plan and headed up the side of Beinn Narnain after reaching the weir above the forest.
DSCN0563.JPG
Just short of the weir before heading up over grassy slopes below the early craggs of the SE approach to Beinn Narnain.
DSCN0575.JPG
The Cobbler.
DSCN0585.JPG
Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond.....
DSCN0590.JPG
A great approach to Beinn Narnain with the south top of the cobbler in the background.
DSCN0591.JPG
Met another very happy walker who kindly took our photo. He had been to Beinn Ime first doing the reverse of our route. A fine rocky section awaits....
DSCN0598.JPG
DSCN0601.JPG
DSCN0602.JPG
DSCN0616.JPG
After crossing the summit of Beinn Narnain we dropped to Bealach a'Mhaim and headed up Beinn Ime. A fun mini-fortress like cairn provided a fine food stop. Ravens soured above in the mist! This was some hour and 50 minutes later with a 10min break on the back slopes of Beinn Narnain.
:D :D :D
DSCN0635.JPG
The Cobbler from the Narnain Boulders.
After our walk back down from Beinn Ime to the bealach again we paused at the NE approach to the Cobbler. Time was getting on and the weather had closed in - we would not get to fully appreciate this wonderful mountain, plus I reckon a full frontal ascent from the path in Allt a' Bhalachain just above the Narnain boulders would be a much more exciting ascent. We will be back!
Last edited by Bod on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Postby Magoo82 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 am

Much steepness and rockyness by the looks of it!
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:11 am

Yes steep and rocky, but direct, interesting and fun. There is however a alternative via the bealach between the Cobbler and Beinn Narnain.
Magoo82 wrote:Much steepness and rockyness by the looks of it!
Bod
Walker

Postby clivew » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 am

Hi both glad you enjoyed the rest of your walk I'm your "photographer" for want of a better description, although the picture turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, looks like we chose the wrong day to go walking as there is a lot less cloud around today.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Clive, thanks again for stopping to take our picture. Yes aye, it's a lovely day today, but we're putting it to good effect enjoying a chance to catch up in the garden and blether with the neighbours. The maps are still out though, it's the Ochils for us at the end of the week with a school Duke of Edinburgh expedition, then we're Glencoe bound for May Day weekend. Maybe we'll bump into eachother again, cheers Bod
clivew wrote:Hi both glad you enjoyed the rest of your walk I'm your "photographer" for want of a better description, although the picture turned out pretty good even if I do say so myself. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, looks like we chose the wrong day to go walking as there is a lot less cloud around today.
Clive
Bod
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Great report Bod, that looks a cracking walk with some real 'character' in the route you took :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 am

Nice shots up through the spearhead there Bod

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:10 am

Nice report Bod,
Looks a bit misty with lots of cloud cover. Bit of a contrast to Sunday. Cobbler looks amasing as always. :D
monty

Postby Redrock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:29 am

Great walk report, Bod! :D You really get those scrambling shots well. :D I'm usually too busy watching where I am going :? to remember to take photos on the steep bits! :lol: It's a shame it got misty up on Beinn Ime. There are great views from up there on a clear day. Here's a picture I took in 1981 :eh: (I was young in those days!) which might give you some idea. 8)
Untitled-Scanned-107.jpg
The summit of Beinn Ime - 1981
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Bod » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 am

Great photo too Redrock, thank you! I see the cairn shelter has fallen away a bit over the years. And I noticed there still remained some metal foundation bars that would have supported the trig point in your photo.
Redrock wrote:Great walk report, Bod! :D You really get those scrambling shots well. :D I'm usually too busy watching where I am going :? to remember to take photos on the steep bits! :lol: It's a shame it got misty up on Beinn Ime. There are great views from up there on a clear day. Here's a picture I took in 1981 :eh: (I was young in those days!) which might give you some idea. 8)
Untitled-Scanned-107.jpg
Bod
Walker

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 am

Nice report Bod. Was up there last year and done something similar to you guys, only difference being I went directly up Ben Narnain. I had considered The Cobbler that day too but time and the fact that I was knackered meant I left it for another day. I agree with you though, think the frontal assault of The Cobbler would be much more intersesting. Some great pics there too, pity the weather wasn't so great but hey, can't have everything :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Top report Bod! I loved the pictures of the climb up through the Spearhead And i bet the pup had no problems with the scrambly bits!!! Good choice on coming back another day for the Cobbler and to tackle from the other side - much more fun.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland