walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubh

Beinn Dubh

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 707m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

*update 15/2/13 note to self; haha , can`t believe i thought i could see shiehallion up there, ****

Took off to luss, saturday evening, after wandering around the forest looking for a suitable place to camp the night, which eventually didn`t happen thanks to a nervous wife and then up the single track road a bit, i headed back to the start point of Beinn Dubh. Classed as a graham in hillwalking terms, it looked an easy little hill for an evening walk and crossed the gate on the right hand side of the road into the field. It was either steeper than it looked or i was just not fit as i was puffing and panting 5 mins into the walk. Headed up the hill on what is a plain, dry, grassy path by the trees and onto the open hill which begins to get a bit boggy and soggy, but the gaiters were off as it was absolutely scorchin with clear blue skies only slightly decorated with puffy white clouds.
003.JPG
loch lomond

As you can see on the map, the trip to the summit looks quite short, with plenty of hoped for but false summits and i got there about 6.30pm.
008.JPG
Beinn Dubh

023.JPG
arrochar alps

On the way up I had great views over loch lomond and the luss hills, but now i could see the arrochar alps, the crianlarich and bridge of orchy hills as well as schiallion i think.
009.JPG
ben lomond

012.JPG

014.JPG

I contemplated doing the complete horseshoe and headed off towards it to gauge the time and distance left. After about 20 minutes i decided i should just head back. After i broke my camera as i tried to take another summit pick , i headed down a different way from my ascent, taking the more steeper south westerly slope, eventually following a dry gorge down the hill and crunching through the dead bracken, before refreshing myself in the only burn i saw on the entire walk onto the road, with a 25 minute walk by some remote "little" farm houses to the car. A good workout and a nice night and i will probably go back sometime and do the whole horseshoe.

022.JPG
crianlarich hills

024.JPG
schiallion ?

027.JPG
loch lomond
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Dubh

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Did you see the half eaten/decomposed sheep? :shock:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Stunning views from that little beauty, what a great reward for an afternoons effort, though busting the camera kind of takes the edge off the enjoyment :?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Rossco » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:31 pm

kevsbald wrote:Did you see the half eaten/decomposed sheep? :shock:

Haha seen that last week. And one hanging over a barb wire fence too! :shock:
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:19 pm

kevsbald wrote:Did you see the half eaten/decomposed sheep? :shock:

yeah, i did , i was about fifteen feet away from it when the stench hit me :shock:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:22 pm

ChrisW wrote:Stunning views from that little beauty, what a great reward for an afternoons effort, though busting the camera kind of takes the edge off the enjoyment :?

i know Chris, hopefully it will fix itself, lol, can`t afford to go out and buy a knew one, and using my phone as a camera is a pain in the ass
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland