walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

(Really) Wild Camping !!!

(Really) Wild Camping !!!

Postby steven65 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1025m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It`s always good to read folks reports on their wild camping exploits & the hills they do away under canvas , like most on here i think it`s read with a wee bit of envy - i`d love to have more free time - to be able to just to take off , maybe i need to prioritise more ?
Anyway i decided to (try :lol: ) and do Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain , then wild camp overnight & continue in the morning over to Ben More and Stob Binnein.
A plan was hatched , i saw the route elsewhere on the web - 2200 m & 18km a tall order for me , but with an overnight camp at height i thought , aye give it a bash.
Luckily i was off for all the Easter w/end , MWIS had advised of good weather , but then the forecast for Saturday changed to a poorer outlook , no probs though i won`t melt !!!
So all was set for Good Friday as i had a lunch time finish at work in sight . Wrong. I got away at 330pm ,drat & double drat ! , home , a quick coffee , changed , packed & off with Oskar in tow.
But i had a detour.........i`d discovered only the previous night that my tent was missing :wtf: I went to get it from the shed & saw a vacant space where it should be , turned out my son had "borrowed" it last year to do T-in-the-park & hadn`t returned it -this i`d forgotten/overlooked. Fone calls over - said tent wasn`t at his house ,seemingly it may have not made it back from last years`T :thumbdown: . It was only an old Eurohike dome tent & i`d certainly had my moneys worth out of it over the years , but i now had a problem-no tent. So i decided to get a new one after work , but my brother foned & said i could borrow his , great :) so a wee detour via Bannockburn to collect the tent , then off to Inverlochlarig.
By the time i arrived here & got underway it was the wrong side of 5pm b******* .
Time was now a problem , but i`d worry about that later - the sun was shinning away gloriously & a wee breeze helped cool things down. I took the route suggested here & thoroughly enjoyed the climb & the views opening with height , meeting & chatting with a group of 3 on their way down -the only people i saw.
Upwards & onwards i was feeling the pull , i`d not done a munro since 5/3 & the indulgancies of a recent holiday in NYC weren`t helping (i`ve put back on 7lbs - lost 2st last year).
Time now came into play. After Beinn Tulaichean the light was fading .
West towards Beinn a` Chroin / An Caisteal ??
I could see clearly over to Stob Binnein & Ben More , & realised i wouldn`t be going anywhere near them tonight :x
mmmmhhhh........thems far away !!!!!
Oskar on Beinn Tulaichean
I decided to cut my losses & camp a short distance before Cruach Ardrain.
I was very hungry , time to get the tent up & fire up my gas burner for tea , cumberland sausages - which by now would have defrosted & a tin of heinz beans great .
This was when things went wrong , terminally wrong :shock:
I unpacked my brother Eddies tent - which was new & apparently hadn`t been used - ever.
Lo and behold no tent pegs :sick: none.
I donned my head torch in an effort to "shed light on the situation " - check , check , yes NO tent pegs :wtf:
To calm me down i fired up the gas burner & made tea as we both needed to eat , despite being totally sick with no tent pegs i really enjoyed the sausages , as did Oskar.
What to do next ???? Fone for a helicopter ?? (there was no signal ) Walk off the hill ?? I had a hand torch as well as my head torch & spare batteries , but that would have been calling it a day .
Well i decided to rough it , I had an emergency rescue bag in my rucksack , so i unwrapped it put my sleeping bag inside & climbed in :clap: I was pleased with this & had a celebratory can of cider as a post dinner drink , it was just before 11pm & quite clear a starry night - all was well i was nice & cosy in my bright orange cocoon.

This worked really well.................untill Lionel Ritchie - " All Night Long " & the rain Gods came out on the night shift :lol: I could have wept.

So Oskar joined me inside the emergency bag , it`s roomy enough for a full grown standard schnauzer & a "fully grown" man. Cosy.
I hope as you read this part you are laughing , i really do.If someone had told me this story i`d be bent over double.
It was my own fault , i didn`t check the tent i`d borrowed, i should have checked my own in advance not just the night before i was due to go away. I`m sure some of you on here have forgotten more vital items & for any newish type members (a wee bit like me 13 months + now ) you must be prepared for anything.
Theres no 24 hr stores open at 3000ft for the little things you`ve left at home.
So after a fairly rough night i got up at 530am , i`d considered walking off , but decided to continue & summit Cruach Ardrain .
Oskar on Cruach Ardrain
But Ben More and Stob Binnein were most definately cancelled for another day , i`ll probably redo them from Inverlochlarig just like 2 dalmations did on Good Friday -but hopefully in the sun shine :lol:
I quite enjoyed going onto Cruach Ardrain , it lifted my spirits after being a bit low & was easier as i`d left my rucksack on the trail below. There were no views from the summitt as the fotos of Oskar show , but i didn`t feel robbed by that , it was an achievement in the circumstances. On the way down i veered down towards Inverlochlarig Glen rather than go back over Beinn Tulaichean , it was very wet , but it was ALL downhill :) & brought us onto the track/road out.
The glen was pretty much closed in with very low cloud , no views at all.
Glen Inverlochlarig on the way out.
I wouldn`t have wanted to climb Ben More & Stob Binnein in these conditions , so if the tent situation hadn`t happened i`d probably have walked out anyway.
A wee stop in Callander for a fresh coffee then home for a wee sleep.
So looking back today Sunday- yesterdays weather ( Saturday ) improved greatly later in the day after a very dire morning.
Hopefully it`s Bridge of Orchy area on Easter Monday.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: (Really) Wild Camping !!!

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:42 pm

:lol: :lol: Great report steven65, love the mental image of you and oskar squeezed into an emergency rescue bag in an overnight storm :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Ooooh Steven, what a report!!

I'm so sorry but I did laugh...a lot!!! :lol: :lol:

Guess who'll be double checking our kit next time???

I know about missing equipment. Our kids and their friends treat our sleeping bag supply as a free for all!!! You might get them back eventually but they are so rank- usually with dirty socks and underwear left in them!!! Last time we were camping in Glen Nevis we had to make an emergency trip to Blacks for new sleeping bags!!( Now hidden at the back of a cupboard!!)

Look forward to your next report, especially to see Oskar! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm

funny report Steven, sounds like you were a bit too eager to get out there :lol: i`m the same can`t wait to get and do some wild camping, was all set for it myself last night, but the mrs thought i might get eaten by the big bad hill monsters :lol: and wanted me home :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:44 pm

You're not the first and won't be the last to have that happen - it happened to my brother last year - and his was a borrowed tent as well. I've just been and double-checked mine for my wild camping trip next month - I have found that I've got 2 spare pegs. As side note....I was once on Shiel Bridge camp site and there was a group in a big tent making a right din into the early hours and they wouldn't shut up. Next morning, I heard laughing and looked out to see someone had cut all their guy lines while they were asleep and they were still asleep with the tent in a heap on top of them. They were mad, but everyone else had a right laugh.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Great read there Steven :lol: . Much respect on toughing it out in those conditions :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Steven
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Great wee report there mate 8) some cracking pics of your evening ascent
Im sure you will get it right for your next trip :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Great report but cant help laughing either, what with the kids and your brother messing things up with the tents :lol:

Fair play to you for making the best of it, hope your next outing goes more smoothly :thumbup:
morag1

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Yowsers! :shock:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby yokehead » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 pm

A classic report, absolutely brilliant on so many levels! Very funny but grim at the time of course, however you came through in the end and at least you both enjoyed the sausages! :D :D

I'm very impressed that you carried on to Cruach Adrain despite your awful night - following best mountaineering tradition! 8)

And the photo of Oskar at the summit :lol: :lol: :lol: sums it all up beautifully, just fantastic (poor Oskar!). :lol: Hope he's recovered now!

Report of the month for me.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:51 pm

OMG. What an adventure :clap: :clap: Poor Oscar (and you of course). Thanks for sharing that with us. When things go wrong - GOD do they go wrong big time. I am sure that coffee in Callander was like the elixir of life. Brilliant report. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Superb report! That is exactly the kind of thing that would happen to me (and often does!) Had me laughing out loud! Well done for sticking it out though.. :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mgmt! » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:35 pm

great report, its ironic that by not having any pegs and roughing it out, that night will be the crowning moment of your hill experience, and we have all done similar stuff, i once forgot the tent, luckily i had the car and discovered i could lie flat out in the back of my estate.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby steven65 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Many thanks everyone for your sentiments , i`m really glad my tale of woe amused you all .
We all need a wee bit of a lifting now & again & it`s nice to see that my Ealing comedy type walk did that.
But it was a 1 off (hopefully) and there`ll be no repeats.
I`ll certainly take more time to prepare for future outings.
Incidentally Oskar & i had a great day out today - Easter Monday - on Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair in total sunshine with no rain visible for miles and miles . It was fabulous , i`d recommend it to everyone especially on a fine day.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland