walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich, Drumochter (not Braeriach!)

Meall Chuaich, Drumochter (not Braeriach!)

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 am

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 23/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 635m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Todays original plan was to meet Stretch at the Sugar Bowl car park at the Cairngorms where I'd join him up to Braeriach before I returned myself. He would go on to do a loop taking in the rest of the Munros on the plateau before overnighting at Corrour. Upon meeting him he'd pretty much already aborted the camping idea- it was windy, the sky was grim and it didn't look appealing to camp anywhere! We decided we'd both just do Braeriach then- started on the path, crossed the bridge and walked 5 mins. It started raining and looked horrible on the tops. Rainbow looked nice though!:

Plan B then.

We bailed out- back to our cars and went south down the A9 for a quick jaunt up a Drumochter lump- Meall Chuaich.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date - Sat 23/04/2011
Hill - Meall Chuaich, Drumochter
Route - Standard there and back route from A9 layby
Weather - Cloudy tops, strong breeze. Avoided most rain
People - Me / Stretch
Time - 4h
Distance - 14km
Ascent - 635m
Max Altitude - 951m

Meall Chuaich 23-04-2011 (Route file) 14km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked at layby 94 and started off up the good track.

Past Cuaich hydro-electric power station

Grouse

Private locked bothy

Continuing up the track, eventually a path strikes off left up the broad SW shoulder of Meall Chuaich

Looking back to where we came from. Loch Cuaich on the right

It was a fairly easy ascent. Good terrain and a clear path most of the way up this featurless lump. I joked that I hope there's a massive cairn to shelter behind up here......

And there it was, looming out of the mist...

We met a couple already at the summit. 1 other appeared soon after. And we passed a few other small groups coming up as we were going down. Seems a lot of people were heading up this lump today.

Whatever views there are that redeem this hill were not to be found today. Despite my optimism that the cloud would lift any minute now, it never did

As we descend we meet a lone soul appearing out of the mist

The sky remained threatening, but we made it back to the car before the rain really came on.

Zooming over to the Ben Alder area

Arriving back to car

A good half day out in great company, and a wise choice to change plan at last min.

8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter (not Braeriach!)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 am

Any day out is better than nothing :D and this is a good wee hill.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby monty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 am

The best laid plans scuppered by the weather. At least you got a hill walk on the day. Its a good ascent once you ar on the hill proper. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Nice one highlandSC, like the rainbow and love the shot of the guy looming in from the mist on the descent :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mountainstar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 pm

The good forecast that was promised up north went a bit t*ts up, but at least you had a bit of hill action.
I've just got back from Snowdonia after a wildcamp last night, again we walked in under low cloud, but 1 hour later it completely cleared, to leave a lovely sunset and a star filled night. And today it was glorious sunshine again, with the haze of recent days clearing.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Mountainstar's rubbing it in because he didn't get any of my venison steaks - courtesy of Weemistermac for my bday :lol:

No way I was heading up that high in that mess - we made the right call and can enjoy Braeriach on a fine day now. Good pics Scott, not posting the one of you on the cairn?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountainstar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Stretch wrote:Mountainstar's rubbing it in because he didn't get any of my venison steaks - courtesy of Weemistermac for my bday :lol:

Absolutely you had me drooling, and now to rub it in even more, you've gone and put a picture of it on facebook :(
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby niblue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am

I'm one of the couple you met on the top (we were the ones that used mountain bikes to the bothy) - nice to meet you!

Definitely not the nicest of days but at least it didn't rain. Last time I climbed the hill the views were very good, especially towards Ben Alder - shame we didn't get the same on Saturday.
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 am

Nice to meet you both as well. I almost feel bad for the dozen or so people who were going up as we descended, it started raining as soon as we got to the cars.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Stretch wrote:No way I was heading up that high in that mess - we made the right call and can enjoy Braeriach on a fine day now. Good pics Scott, not posting the one of you on the cairn?

Ha ha...maybe I'll post my cairn surfing pic when I'm home.

niblue wrote:I'm one of the couple you met on the top (we were the ones that used mountain bikes to the bothy) - nice to meet you!

Definitely not the nicest of days but at least it didn't rain. Last time I climbed the hill the views were very good, especially towards Ben Alder - shame we didn't get the same on Saturday.

Hi niblue, yes it was good to meet you up there! We all done well to avoid the rain I think. Maybe I'll revisit this hill in winter for some good views.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland