walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hot day out on Meall a'Bhuiridh

Hot day out on Meall a'Bhuiridh

Postby smudger831 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 26/04/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Ascent: 1108m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was dropped off in the ski centre car park and after applying some sun lotion (no, really!) started the slog up under the chairlift
DSCN1062.JPG
The path by the chairlift

After an hour or so sweating up the hill I got to the first ski lift station and walked along the path to continue up to the summit. Just over an hour saw me up to the top of Meall a'Bhuiridh to some absolutely stunning views in all directions. Ben Nevis in the North back to the Black Mount and the tops over there.
DSCN1054.JPG
View north to Ben Nevis

DSCN1050.JPG
View back towards Black Mount

Now at this point I was planning on going over to Creise but I don't really do heights/exposure well and when I looked over towards it my legs started shaking so I decided to call a halt where I was. Plus I was up there on my lonesome and could not see the best way up onto the ridge.

DSCN1048.JPG
The way over to Creise (Eeek!)

So after a wee walk around and a quick spot of lunch with a wee nip from my trusty hipflask I started on my way back down. Took in total about two hours to get back down as I stopped and was watching some people hang gliding and parascending off of Creag Dhubh and just taking in the views. Quite slippy going down as parts of the path were steep and it was so dry and dusty (again, no, really!).
Popped into the cafe at the ski centre for a wee refreshment (sweet, sweet, beer) while waiting for my lift after an enjoyable day out. Hopefully another few sunny days to come this year.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Re: Hot day out on Meall a'Bhuiridh

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 pm

looks like an enjoyable wander - the shot north to Ben Nevis is excellent :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice report and pictures. That walk unde the chair lift is a bit of a slog isn't it :shock: Did this a couple of winters back and had great views across to the other black mount summits from the top :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Nice without the haze which we had last Friday.....and given the sunburn on my neck should probably have done what you did and taken lotion :lol:

smudger831 wrote:Now at this point I was planning on going over to Creise but I don't really do heights/exposure well and when I looked over towards it my legs started shaking so I decided to call a halt where I was. Plus I was up there on my lonesome and could not see the best way up onto the ridge.
I can understand what you mean here but 'tis a pity you didn't try it as it's honestly an awful lot easier than it looks. I initially thought the same as you but it's fine once you're on it - good excuse to return :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby smudger831 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:59 am

I have company coming up next month so may give Creise a go then. Would it be cheating to use the chairlift for the initial climb up I wonder :?
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:29 am

Did this one in deep powder snow and a whiteout, so just followed the ski tows to the top. At about 1000m we came out above the clouds to blue skies, sun and a stunning inversion with just the 1000m+ summits poking out. Applied the sun cream, had lunch in t shirts and saw our brocken spectres. :D Just shows you can get special moments on even the most seemingly-boring walk. I now tell myself that's what could happen every time I ascend a hill in the clag - hasn't happened again yet though :(
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland