walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian & Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Bidean nam Bian & Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby Bruadair » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 22/04/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 1472m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather for Friday 22nd was forecast to be good (is that why it was called Good Friday) and it certainly lived up to the name. I arrived at parking area (NN170568) just before 8.00am as a hazy sun was just rising behind Stob nan Caber and Stob Coire Raineach and was hopeful of some decent photo opportunities as the day progressed.
P1010459.JPG
From parking area (NN170568) looking up Coire nan Lochan between Gearr Aonach (left) and Aonach Dubh with some snow still showing on gullies of Stob Coire nan Lochan
P1010460.JPG
Again from parking area (SE) Gearr Aonach on right with 3rd of three sisters Beinn Fhada on left
Setting off just about bang on 8.00am.....within 30 minutes took my first ...Ahem!....photo break at approx (NN161561)
P1010464.JPG
Looking North from (NN161561) viewed R to L...Am Bodach, The Chancellor & Aonach Eagach ridge
P1010465.JPG
Aonach Eagach again
P1010466.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan from further up Coire
At the top of Coire nan Lochan (approx NN155553) the suggested route skirts NW onto plateau North of Lochans but I chose the relatively straight forward scramble ahead onto plateau South of Lochans then a walk NW to join track for Stob Coire nan Lochan.
P1010474.JPG
Eastern face of Stob Coire nan lochan from plateau at top of Coire approx (NN151552)
The route to the summit was a real ankle breaker and I lost the track on a few occasions as it weaved through / over the boulder field
P1010476.JPG
Boulder field route to summit
and after what seamed an eternity the summit cairn was reached
P1010477.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan summit cairn
where someone had laid a meaningful message / memory of I would assume a loved one (I straightened up and turned it a bit for you)
P1010478.JPG
Someones meaning full message at the cairn
then took some shots from summit...
P1010482.JPG
E/SE view across sun hazed Beinn Fhada, Buachaille Etive Beag & Buachaille Etive Mor
P1010483.JPG
S/SE to Stob Coire Sgreamhach with visible snow filled Red Scree descent route at foot of hill on right
From the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan the route to Bidean nam Bian looks daunting and my first thought was how the hang am I going to get up that...was there some other way that I couldn't see.....Eh! NO...
P1010480.JPG
To the left is route up to Bidean nam Bian from Stob Coire nan Lochan
the assent was a lot less daunting than photo would have you believe...that said it was a tough old haul to the summit.
After reaching and wandering about Bidean summit I noticed a cairn off to the West (approx NN141542) so headed off on said direction to tick the box
P1010493.JPG
Cairn on Bidean at (NN141542)
and then back up to summit and headed for Sgreamhach and in doing so forgot to take the Bidean cairn shot.
P1010495.JPG
Stob Coire nam Beith to NE from Bidean summit

The ridge between Bidean and Sgreamhach gives superb views down into the lost valley
P1010499.JPG
Looking down into the Lost Valley
as does the assent of Sgreamhach...
P1010502.JPG
Stob Coire Sgreamhach summit cairn with Aonach Eagach in far ground
P1010505.JPG
Bidean from Sgreamhach with Red Scree gully descent route (NN149537) in centre ground
Whilst at the summit I joined debates on the practicality of the Red Scree gully due to being snow filled and that first 100 feet or so was pretty steep (refer again to 0483 & 0505 JPG's) ......some headed off along Beinn Fhada in search of a route down into the Lost Valley, but I and others chose to try the gully. The first quarter of the descent was very steep and every step was firmly planted, but once past the rocky section at quarter way down, it bum down feet up and off down the gully in no time.
P1010510.JPG
Route down Red Scree gully (check the bum slide tracks)
after that the walk out seemed to take forever....
P1010512.JPG
Waterfall down Gearr Aonach approx (NN157547)
when almost on valley floor attention was drawn to an RAF rescue hellicopter which had entered the valley and initially gave impression of looking for someone, but after a few circuits and stops it looked to more like a training exercise
P1010522.JPG
RAF Rescue scanning Gearr Aonach
P1010525.JPG
Again hovering beside Beinn Fhada
...after it despersed it was on with the walk out back to the car....
P1010529.JPG
Looking along lost valey floor and up Bealach Dearg
P1010533.JPG
Looking into valley...guess that's why it got lost
P1010534.JPG
Looking out towards Glen Coe
...... a good day with variations and another double at the end of it.

Regards................B
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Bidean nam Bian & Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby soulminer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Magic ! Some fine shots especially the shot over Fhada et al, a nice image. Thanx for posting
soulminer

Postby kw1980 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 pm

I did this walk in the reverse direction to yourself last year. I really enjoyed it, youve got some great pictures of it, brings back the memories.
kw1980
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Nice report Bruadair and great pictures :D I have a soft spot for the lost valley, as this is where I first tried out this hill walking lark and caught the bug.

Have done these two in reverse your route a couple of times and will be back, hopefully for a bit of a winter walk. Persuaded eldest step son to join on this route once. The decent off stob coire nan lochan seems to have left an impression on his legs. He hasn't been out with me since :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jockstar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Well done on getting to the two. Myself and Suhowfar had a go a couple of days before and made good progress until we came to about 200 yards from the top of Stob coire nan lochan and had to turn back. :( We met a group of three who had been brought up around glencoe and had done the AE the previous day and I was concerned about getting back down as the Lost valley route was a no no and so didnt want to risk the chance of not getting down , and so turned back. Shame because it was a great day but we loved the walk up and will be back later in the year. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

Great report B and some cracking photos, the haze can be a pain most times but the shot looking E/SE across sun hazed Beinn Fhada, Buachaille Etive Beag & Buachaille Etive Mor is greatly enhanced by it, really great pic :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am

soulminer wrote:Magic ! Some fine shots especially the shot over Fhada et al, a nice image. Thanx for posting

Thanks Soulminer...............Your comments are appreciated.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:36 am

kw1980 wrote:I did this walk in the reverse direction to yourself last year. I really enjoyed it, youve got some great pictures of it, brings back the memories.

Thanks kw1980.............. I'm not sure I would have a liking for reverse of route as there's tricky descents off Bidean and Stob Coire nan Lochan and not sure the old shock absorbers would be up to it.......but glad to have brought back some memories for you.

Regards........................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 am

OOooOOOoo.... I liked this report B. 8)

Pictures are great and this pair together look a fine walk/scramble/bum hop :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 am

PeteR wrote:Nice report Bruadair and great pictures :D I have a soft spot for the lost valley, as this is where I first tried out this hill walking lark and caught the bug.

Cheers PeteR.........How the hang the MacDonalds got the russtled cattle up there is beyond me.....so being to my belief of there being no choppers (the flying ones) around at the time... my theory is it was calves they blagged and carried them up.

Have done these two in reverse your route a couple of times and will be back, hopefully for a bit of a winter walk. Persuaded eldest step son to join on this route once. The decent off stob coire nan lochan seems to have left an impression on his legs. He hasn't been out with me since :lol:

I imagine this would be a toughy in winter.......I can relate to an impression being left in your step sons legs, especially coming of Stob Coire nan Lochan....it was torture going up and would hate that descent at end of a walk.

Regards....................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 am

Jockstar wrote:Well done on getting to the two. Myself and Suhowfar had a go a couple of days before and made good progress until we came to about 200 yards from the top of Stob coire nan lochan and had to turn back. :( We met a group of three who had been brought up around glencoe and had done the AE the previous day and I was concerned about getting back down as the Lost valley route was a no no and so didnt want to risk the chance of not getting down , and so turned back. Shame because it was a great day but we loved the walk up and will be back later in the year. :D

Thanks Jockstar..............Shame you didn't make it as it really is an excellant walk......but the hills aren't going anywhere.....and if your not sure, then it's always best to leave for another day......I'm sure you'll get back up there soon.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am

ChrisW wrote:Great report B and some cracking photos, the haze can be a pain most times but the shot looking E/SE across sun hazed Beinn Fhada, Buachaille Etive Beag & Buachaille Etive Mor is greatly enhanced by it, really great pic :D

Thanks ChrisW................Yes sometime haze can be a pain and the Ben was hazed out in another shot.....but it seems to work with noted photo......lucky I guess.

Regards..................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 am

Merry-walker wrote:OOooOOOoo.... I liked this report B. 8)

Well Thank You MW............glad you liked it.

Pictures are great and this pair together look a fine walk/scramble/bum hop :lol:

Yes it was a fine walk with some cheek clenching scrambles / a little bum hopping & an absolutely super slide..........definately worth a visit.

Regards.............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

Well done, great report & pics. When i did these two it rained all day & i couldn't see a thing, so on the list of must do again on a better day.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 am

jonny616 wrote:Well done, great report & pics. When i did these two it rained all day & i couldn't see a thing, so on the list of must do again on a better day.

Regards

Jonny

Thanks Jonny..................I would say definately worth revisiting on a good day...wouldn't be so sure when snow covered....and hats off to those who have.

Regards.................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland