walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culardoch & Carn Liath. A couple of Corbetts

Culardoch & Carn Liath. A couple of Corbetts

Postby trailer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 am

Route description: Culardoch and Creag an Dail Bheag, Keiloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag, Culardoch

Date walked: 26/04/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Somewhere different for a change and a trip up two Corbetts on the eastern edge of the Cairngorms. Parking at the Keilloch car park things were reasonably quiet with just another vehicle there. Set off to a slight chill but fine day walking up to Invercauld House before cutting off through the woodland:

It's well defined path/road up through the rest of the wood and eventually coming out on the open moorland:

The planting experiment cloches are still evident at the base of Culardoch. It really does look out of place here but I guess it is for a good reason so fair play:

A short ascent brings you up to the summit of Culardoch where the views are superb over Ben Avon to the west, Lochnagar to the south and Morvern and Aberdeenshire to the east:

After descending back down to the greenhouses it's a short ascent over to Carn Liath. I imagine this would be quite boggy through the hags here but with the weather at the moment it is remarkably dry underfoot. At the summit of Carn Liath I was greeted by a pair of Ptarmigan. Not quite in their full summer kit but getting close now:

After stopping for a bite and a further look at the views, you either have the choice of returning down to the greenhouses and following the road back down to the start or you can follow the dry stone wall back down. The dry stone wall is by far the better way although there isn't a path as such. I happened to chance on a herd of deer but by the time I got the camera out they had disappeared :(

I would imagine that this is a super ski tour also, with long gentle inclines, if the snow cover was sufficient. All in all a super walk with a couple of Corbetts thrown in with the super views.
trailer
Munro compleatist

Re: Culardoch & Carn Liath. A couple of Corbetts

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Better views than I got! The clouds over the first trig point photo on Culardoch are amazing! Like something biblical! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Great views from this area. I was going to do this walk the other day too. Lovely pictures :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Very nice 8)
The clouds don't look real though - jet black in parts? Nice effect whatever it is though.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby trailer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:28 pm

HighlandSC wrote:The clouds don't look real though - jet black in parts? Nice effect whatever it is though.

Artistic licence :D (or something like that)
trailer
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Cracking pics.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:48 pm

cracking - love the shot of the 2nd ptarmigan 'giving it the big un' - I can almost hear it :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland