walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 25/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 1006m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking further advantage of the good weather and the Monday holiday I again headed for a Glen Coe with Buachaille Etive Beag being my objective. On arrival at parking area at (NN188562) at approx' 8.30am the cloud was well above 1000m level and albeit there was a brisk breeze.....it looked set to be a promissing day......so at approx' 8.40am I was on my way up the track signed for Lairig Eilde and was soon at the point where the track divides and a small cairn (NN184558) to the left of the track identifies the route up to Buachaille Etive Beag.
P1010545.JPG
Track splits at small cairn (NN184558) with left fork being direction for Buachaille Etive Beag
P1010546.JPG
View down route to waterfall at The Study (NN183562) and across to gully route up from Allt-na-reigh to Sron Gharbh and Am Bodach for Aonach Eagach ridge
P1010547.JPG
View SW up Lairig Eilde with Beinn Fhada on right and Stob Coire Sgreamhach at far end

The track up to Mam Buidhe is well defined with a large portion of boulder steps to which my thoughts strayed to the descent and what impact this would have on my knees. Then as if I had been carried by a big gust of wind... all of a sudden I was at Mam Buidhe cairn (NN187545)..........
P1010549.JPG
Mam Buidhe cairn (NN187545) with Stob Coire Altruim (left) and Stob na Broige (right) of Buachaille Etive Mor ilk rising behind
With Etive Mor facing and Stob Coire Raineach to my left and Stob Dubh to my right.
P1010550.JPG
Viewed from Mam Buidhe..route up to Stob Dubh
P1010551.JPG
And route up to Stob Coire Raineach

After a thought I chose to head for Stob Coire Raineach first and again was at summit in no time...what's going on !!!
P1010553.JPG
Stob Coire Raineach summit cairn
A few photo's from summit required before setting off for the second Munro of the day.
P1010557.JPG
N/NW view from summit with Blackwater Reservoir just visible behind Beinn a Chrulaiste and Stob Dearg of Etive Mor to right
P1010563.JPG
Summit to Summit view (Stob Coire Raineach to Stob Dubh) with Loch Etive in far ground

Again in no time I was back down at Mam Buidhe......I didn't know what it was about this place but it had a sort of feeling about it, like it was more than just a low point between two hills.....as if it served a purpose. Without breaking stride I was on my way up towards Stob Dubh...with occasional stops for a quick breather......looking back at one such stop, I noticed movement on South East side of SCR so zoomed in with the camera to catch a trio scrambling over the scree.
P1010564.JPG
Trio scrambling up scree on SE side of Stob Coire Raineach
..... I chatted with them on my descent of Stob Dubh and the young girl as seen at back of trio (I think it was Yvonne) was completing her first Munro's...... so on with the walk, and soon at 902m unnamed summit at (NN184541) where ridge walk up to Stob Dubh looked fine
P1010568.JPG
Route along ridge walk to summit of Stob Dubh as viewed from cairn at (NN184541 = 902m)
......By now it was like I had summit rage with fast paced walk come slow jog until topped out.
P1010571.JPG
Stob Dubh summit cairns with Ben Starav (between poles) rising above Loch Etive
......From car park to Stob Coire Raineach to Stob Dubh had taken about 2.5 hours...what a result.....so time for some more photo shots before an extended break at the summit to admire the views.
P1010572.JPG
Loch Etive
P1010574.JPG
Bidean nam Bian from Stob Dubh
P1010575.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor as viewed from Stob Dubh
P1010585.JPG
View across Glen Etive to Beinn Ceitlein
Whilst enjoying my cuppa and sandwich, I was joined at the summit by another walker (Davie) who accompanied me on the descent....
P1010586.JPG
Cloud almost clearing summit of Ben Nevis as viewed from 902m summit at (NN184541)

As it turned out we had exchanged a few pleasantries the previous Friday whilst on Stob Coire Sgreamhach......the hill was starting to get busy with walkers taking advantage of the weather and I enjoyed Davie's company and chat on descent and we were soon back at the parking area....................a good quick double notched up......what a day.....what a result.

Regards................B

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Cracking report bruadair and some beaautiful pics, I reckon I could do with some of those 'blow you up a munro' winds... :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm

ChrisW wrote:Cracking report bruadair and some beaautiful pics, I reckon I could do with some of those 'blow you up a munro' winds... :lol:

Thanks Chris...........I'm not the quickest on the hills and had read that this was a fairly easy walk.....but still couldn't believe how quick it had taken and to get rewarding views is a bonus.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby steven65 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

I like your 4th foto Bruadair it reminds me of when i did these 2 mountains recently , i sat for a minute or 2 on the rocks there taking a breather catching my breath admiring the vista. Faultless :)
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Nice report and some good pictures. This route is so much better now that the approach path has been updated - it used to be a rubish bog trot - with the emphasis definitely on the bog :lol: Makes getting up to the bealach so much easier.

I love the short ridge to stob dubh, especially when it's snow covered 8) but as yet I've never had clear skies on thaqt summit :( I will have to return some day
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby davetherave » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 am

Bruadair wrote:......By now it was like I had summit rage with fast paced walk come slow jog until topped out.

just love the above quote from your report. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Bruadair » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:34 pm

steven65 wrote:I like your 4th foto Bruadair it reminds me of when i did these 2 mountains recently , i sat for a minute or 2 on the rocks there taking a breather catching my breath admiring the vista. Faultless :)

Cheers Steven65........................I actually stopped for a breather minutes before reaching the Mam and was totally surprised by how quick I came upon it from where I had stopped and of the feeling whilst surveying the surrounds.

Regards....................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 pm

davetherave wrote:
Bruadair wrote:......By now it was like I had summit rage with fast paced walk come slow jog until topped out.

just love the above quote from your report. :lol:

Hi DtR...............Thanks for taking time to read it.

Regards.......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice report and some good pictures. This route is so much better now that the approach path has been updated - it used to be a rubish bog trot - with the emphasis definitely on the bog :lol: Makes getting up to the bealach so much easier.

I love the short ridge to stob dubh, especially when it's snow covered 8) but as yet I've never had clear skies on thaqt summit :( I will have to return some day

Thanks PeteR................... I never experienced old pathway but it's obvious that a lot of work went into improving it.

Agree reference Stob Dubh ridge.....but also liked the walk towards Stob nan Cabar from Raineach summit...wish I had gone further along than I did.....that said....I have these hills planned again in a week or two with the misses as she has a fancy for a Munro.......so maybe next time.

Regards.....................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby skuk007 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Great report. I remember doing these and would agree the bealach is reached quite quick from the car park.
As I did them on a clear day I also remember that fantastic view you get across to Buachaille Etive Mor when you reach the bealach.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bruadair » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:51 am

skuk007 wrote:Great report. I remember doing these and would agree the bealach is reached quite quick from the car park.
As I did them on a clear day I also remember that fantastic view you get across to Buachaille Etive Mor when you reach the bealach.

Thanks skuk007................The views from both summits are superb..especially down Glen Etive from Stob Dubh....throw in a clear day....the nice wee ridge up to SD and Mam Buidhe and we have a National Treasure.

Regards.......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland