walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A stroll up Rubers Law

A stroll up Rubers Law

Postby john923 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Route description: Rubers Law, from Denholm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Rubers Law

Date walked: 16/04/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 348m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had travelled up from the Midlands for a week in the Borders and having made good time decided to have an afternoon stroll up this little hill.

Rubers Law.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked in the main square in Denholm, a few km from Hawick, and just off its eastern corner, headed up a short road called the Loaning. This soon became a stony track and we took the left fork at the end which rises to Denholmhill Wood.
J923ruberslaw01.jpg
Denholm

J923ruberslaw03.jpg
Track up to Denholmhill Wood

Once through the plantation strip our target came into view. We tracked the edge of the wood SW and at the intersecting plantation, Gled'swing Strip, took an obvious path up through the trees. This petered out after a bit so we ended up crossing the fence into the adjoining field and made swifter progress that way.

Nearer the top a path passes through an older stand of pines and larches before winding its way to the surprisingly rocky top, which shows some evidence of old earthworks. This was also the site of a Roman Signal Station.
J923ruberslaw04.jpg
First view of Rubers Law

J923ruberslaw06.jpg
Almost there

J923ruberslaw13.jpg
Rocky top

We had good views - north to the Eildons and, to the east, The Cheviot.
J923ruberslaw09.jpg
View east to the Cheviot

J923ruberslaw11.jpg
View north to The Eildons

J923ruberslaw05.jpg
Return route

Our return was by the same route as far as the plantation intersection. Here took a path NW for a few metres to emerge through a gate into pasture and an obvious left-trending descent which emerged on a minor road by an electricity sub-station. Turned right here and left before the first house, this path led into Denholm Dean and followed the stream back to the village. A nice little warm-up exercise to set us up for the rest of the week.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Re: A stroll up Rubers Law

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

nice wee warm up john and some great pics too - hope you the weather stays so good for your visit :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: A stroll up Rubers Law

Postby rogers » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for sharing this John, this is a trip down memory lane for me, when i was a wee boy i used to spend all my school holidays with my Grandparents who lived at Kirkton and especially during the long summer days my cousins and myself would make the trip up to Rubers Law many a time via Whitriggs farm then down into Denholm where my Aunt and Uncle lived, some refreshments then we would walk back to Kirkton, not a care in the world, happy days. Must get back down this summer, been meaning to for ages.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland