walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield Six

Fisherfield Six

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 26/04/2011

Time taken: 17 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 3043m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the last 18 months or so every time I went on a long walk I have said “This is good training for the Fisherfield Six!” I was going to do them last year but I never got around to it. And then I remembered that somewhere at the back of a cupboard I did actually have one!
IMG_2728.JPG
A Round Tuit
And so it was that after a few days in the Fannichs we parked at Corrie Hallie and started the walk in through the woods, past An Teallach
100_0982.jpg
Starting out
100_0986.jpg
An Teallach
and down to an easy crossing of the Abhainn Loch an Nid.
IMG_2675.JPG
Crossing the river
Then the hard work started as we ascended above Creag Ghlas.
100_0990.jpg
Beinn a'Chlaidheimh
100_0996.jpg
Loch an Nid
100_0998.jpg
A short rest was in order before we followed a very steep, narrow path up on to the rocky ridge of Beinn a’Chlaidhaim.
100_1015.jpg
Ridge and An Teallach
IMG_2679.JPG
An Tealach
Four hours after starting out we reached the summit.
100_1014.jpg
Summit Fisherfield 1
Looking northwest I asked Katie “What’s that hill over there?” “I think it’s Ruadh Stac Mor “she said without looking at the map. This was rapidly becoming the Fisherfield Five! I was never going to make it up there after carrying camping gear for two days over 5 other Munros. How was I going to break the news to Katie? Fortunately the same thought was going through her mind and she checked the map. “No, you’re OK, that’s Beinn Dearg Mor – it’s a Corbett”. What a relief!!!
100_1007.jpg
Beinn Dearg Mor
100_1032.jpg
Lochan and Sgurr Ban
Spurred on by a description of the ascent of Sgurr Ban (“ascend easily up grassy slopes”) we soon realised that the writer of this advice must have only been carrying a day sack!
100_1042.jpg
Easy grassy slopes
That training was certainly coming in handy. Then steeply down to the next bealach to encounter the daunting sight of the scree slope leading to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.
100_1043.jpg
Scree - my favourite!
This was most unpleasant but fortunately only about 200m of ascent.
100_1047.jpg
The views of Lochan Fada, Slioch and our next target, Beinn Tarsuinn were magnificent as we made another steep descent
IMG_2696.JPG
Doing it with style?
before following a narrow path beneath the crags of Meall Garbh to Bealach Odhar.
100_1044.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn
Then we tackled the last up of the day to the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn. The rocky, pinnacled ridge leading northwest looked interesting but, being very tired we opted for the easier path below, dropping down to a boggy bealach where we found a reasonable spot to pitch the tent beside a small burn.
IMG_2700.JPG
Camp site
This was full of small fish and it was difficult to obtain water without adding to the protein content of our meal but after a splendid 3 course dinner followed by hot chocolate we collapsed into our sleeping bags.

It was another beautiful sunny day when we set off up A’Mhaighdean at about 8am. This was a very pleasant climb with spectacular views all round, especially across to Torridon.
100_1073.jpg
Slioch
And then the view from the summit! Nothing can prepare you for the view from the summit. Absolutely brilliant.
100_1091.jpg
That view
IMG_2708.JPG
That view
But looking across to Ruadh Stac Mor we could not imagine how we were going to get up there.
100_1094.jpg
Ruadh Stac Mor
The crags looked impenetrable. The path however led to the bottom of a slanting rocky path (rather loose!) up which we scrambled and then made our way over boulders to the trig point.
IMG_2714.JPG
Trig point
Two Munros done before 10.30am! All downhill from here! But with creaking knees there was a huge boulder field to cross to reach the twin lochans below. We made our way across to the path at Clach na Fritheallaidh and then on down to Loch Beinn Dearg. The going was then much easier in the hot sun and we crossed the burn at Larechantivore, made our way across the strath and crossed the Abhainn Srath na Sealga to reach Shenavall. The river crossings were all very easy due to lack of rain. In my celebrations on Ruadh Stac Mor I had forgotten the uphill slog from Shenavall,
100_1104.jpg
Walking back from Shenavall
past An Teallach (the only An Teallach I wanted at this stage came in a pint glass!) again and finally downhill to Corrie Hallie.

I found this a very tough and challenging expedition but worth every minute of the effort involved. I never would have managed it without all that training though.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by bootsandpaddles on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Fisherfield Six

Postby Stretch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Fantastic! I really wanted to do this last week but decided against it, best to save it for the conditions like you two had. Looks like a great round that you both will remember for a long time.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davetherave » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Fab report, looks like you got ideal conditions as well. The weather makes a massive difference on longer exped's like the Fisherfield 6, i only hope when our time comes we are as fortunate as you guy's. :) :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby monty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Great report and top effort. The best walk in Scotland. :D
monty

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:58 pm

I agree - the best two days in the hills that I have had in Scotland :clap:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby trailer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Agreed, a super report. The shape of the mountains that side are so different to the east. Inspiring!
trailer
Munro compleatist

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 pm

due to hit this later this month, better get training!!!! :shock:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby NevJB » Sun May 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Well done! I take my hat off to anyone completing this. Great report.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Brilliant effort bp,cant imagine how I will get round this 6
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

that is one incredible effort - a great achievement captured in beautiful photo's :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 pm

great effort guys, thats a big weekend by anyones standards, well done.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Lifeonloop » Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Excellent report, looks like you camped in almost the same spot as me on my trip a couple of years ago, although I returned to the bealach from Ruadh Stac Mor and headed down the stalkers path on the way back. The walk in is a killer, I think we reached our last summit at lunchtime and didnt get back to the car til after 7pm...and how right about the ascent after reaching Shenavell, you think its not far back now but forget the backbreaking 300m climb back up to the path! Soul destroying :)
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Postby kinley » Sun May 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Cracking trip - enjoyed that! 8)

BootsandPaddles wrote:And then the view from the summit! Nothing can prepare you for the view from the summit. Absolutely brilliant.

As concise an argument for splitting the six as I've ever seen written.

Climb from Carmore and this view evolves. :)
kinley

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland