walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby Dunfie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the backup walk. Cameron and I had hoped to do the Glen Lyon circuit but the stiff easterly put paid to that so we stumped for Ben Lawers and we are glad that we did. What a glorious day, the wind was very strong on exposed areas and peaks but it certainly didn't put us off.

We left Dunfermline for 7am and managed to get on the hill for 8:30 so a very good start to the day. The view up to Beinn Ghlas was picture perfect and we steadily worked our way up the path.

To our left the Meall nan Tarmachan was looking glorious (and was immediately added to our hit list).

We then followed the path up to Beinn Ghlas which wasn't too bad. It did get cold so we had to stop and get an extra layer and a hat. However we got to the top in good time to find a rather disappointing looking cairn. So we grabbed the photos, scoffed a piece of chocolate and went on our way.

The walk down to the foot of the next climb was surprisingly sheltered but we knew that it would get windy towards the top. As we were climbing we met a couple of walkers who were on their way back down. One of them told me that he had done 17 munros this year and today is the first time he has had a view of anything. His patience was well rewarded.

View up to Ben Lawers on the descent from Beinn Ghlas

Nice view of An Stuc around the side of Ben Lawers.

It was very windy at the top of Lawers so again we just took the photos and headed to a quieter neighbourhood for lunch. Amazingly clear 360 views from top - absolutely incredible. 8)

Beinn Glass with Ben More and Stob Binnein in the background

We dropped back down and headed for the Coire Odhar on the way back rather than going back over Beinn Ghlas. The view down to Glen Lyon and the walk we had intended to do.

Meall Corranaich was looking very nice as we turned the corner around the north side of Beinn Ghlas,

It really was fantastic up there today. We were back at the car for before 1pm just as the t-shirt and jeans brigade were starting to make their way up.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby Del246 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Great report. Good timing to as im going there tomorrow. Pics are great. Appreciated.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Walkscot » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm

So that's Cameron then. Well done Cameron! It was windy just about everywhere today I think. Nice pics.
Walkscot
Munro compleatist

Munros:129   Corbetts:12

Postby Dunfie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Del246 wrote:Great report. Good timing to as im going there tomorrow. Pics are great. Appreciated.

Have a good one. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :D
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Dunfie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Walkscot wrote:So that's Cameron then. Well done Cameron! It was windy just about everywhere today I think. Nice pics.

Yes, Cameron is the young one whom I hope will continue to enjoy days like this. The other bloke is me. :)
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Del246 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Had a great day and done the same walk as yourself. ps its still very windy at the top !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland