walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ton up on Carn Mor Dearg

Ton up on Carn Mor Dearg

Postby PeteR » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 01/05/2011

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I always kind of knew that this walk was going to become very personal for me. Not because it was 100 munros. Not because it was CMD, or the arete across to Ben Nevis or anything like that. Events of recent months had put such grand ideas of my own successes into perspective. The achievement of 100 munros simply brought things into sharp focus for me and as I set off from the North Face car park thoughts of some special people to me were very much to the forefront of my mind.

Recently my trips have been long on miles, with long walk ins to get the muscles warmed up. Imagine my shock when, almost immediately leaving the carpark the recently renovated track heads right, up a steep path toward the alt a Mhuillinn. That certainly got the blood pumping and gave the calf muscles an early burn :lol:

Walking through the forest there were some nice views back toward Forth William and eventually my first view of the Ben 8)
DSCF8497.JPG
View west

DSCF8500.JPG
First sighting of Ben Nevis

The track up to the Alt a Mhuillinn is excellent. After crossing a style it was a short trip along the track to the North Face and eventually leaving this track for the path up onto the CMD ridge. Luckily, what with the dry weather recently this path wasn't too bad. I can imagine it would be a bit of a bog trot in wetter conditions. It was another steepish one, which had me taking plenty of 'photo stops' :lol: :lol: which gave me an opportunity to get my breath back. Rather than hit the ridge at its bottom end the path skirts round to the right and after a short levelling heads back left up a slippery, eroded gravel path to the ridge just below the minor top of Carn Dearg Meadhoach. This gave an opportunity for a short rest at the summit cairn to enjoy the views of the North Face, as well as the view up to CMD itself. So far the day was turning out to be ecellent :D 8)
DSCF8540.JPG
CMD from Carn Dearg Meadhonach

As you can imagine on such a fine day there were a few people about, but is was all good. At the minor summit a few off us were taking the chance to enjoy the views and get a bit of a rest. After a short stop admiring the views it was off on the short, easy walk up to CMD itself. I was after a little space between myself and the other walkers for a few moments; a short time for reflection as I headed up to the CMD summit before the hub bub took over.

As I say, the walking was easy. Just before the summit I stopped. Standing in such magnificent scenery my thoughts were of those special people that were such an influence on my life. For me this was their time, before the euphoria of attaining the summit. Even then, they were first in my thoughts. I was so, so glad that the guys behind me on the hill were just far enough back to enable me this short private moment on the way to and at the summit itself :)
DSCF8547.JPG
CMD summit cairn

From the start of the walk there had been a bit of a breeze. At the CMD summit this breeze had turned a touch gusty and so any thoughts of an immediate attempt of the arete was put on hold until the gusts died down. This just gave me the chance to admire the views.

Oh, and what views :D :D :D
DSCF8551.JPG
Ben Nevis North Face from CMD

DSCF8553.JPG
First view of the arete

DSCF8568.JPG
The Mamores from CMD summit

Stashed away in my rucksack was a wee bottle of beer, which I had intended to crack open on CMD to raise a toast to others, but a quick look at the arete suggested a clear head might be better :lol: Given the gusts of wind, steady legs would also be needed too :lol: :lol: So it was an easy decision delay the toast until getting myself on the summit of the Ben.

Eventually it was time to tackle the arete. On the initial section leading down from CMD there are bypass paths on both the right and left hand side, but I wasn't there for bypass paths. I wanted to experience the joys of the arete :D And what joys!! Until this moment I hadn't thought I had a head for these types of heights, but this was some of the best fun on the hills I have ever had. I was aiming to keept to the crest of the ridge all the way, and at no point ever felt any sense of exposure, even with the strength of the wind. I was taking my time, but only because I was enjoying it so much.
DSCF8571.JPG
Heading onto the arete

DSCF8582.JPG
View along initial section of the arete

DSCF8585.JPG
Route to the Ben

DSCF8590.JPG
View back to CMD

DSCF8593.JPG
Mamores from the arete

DSCF8597.JPG
The Ben from the arete

DSCF8608.JPG
Looking back

DSCF8611.JPG
The final section

Apart from cracking my shin a beauty when scrambling over the rocks on the final section :cry: the arete passed for me without incident. On the very final, steep, section I was hoping to remain on the crest, but the wind was just a touch too strong and so I succumbed and dropped down onto the path for the final push to the base of the Ben.

Then it was a slog up shocking path and boulders onto the summit plateau of the Ben. To be fair, I got there reasonably quickly, but it probably wasn't the best part of the walk. The only compensation was some of the views available.
DSCF8635.JPG
View back down the Ben Nevis 'slog'

And then I was on the summit of Ben Nevis.

Ah, what to say about the Ben! Sadly a victim of its noteriety. Which for me is a shame, as I quite like the hill. Given it was a super day there were always going to be crowds on the top (leaving litter all over the place), as well as a steady flow of ill prepared and ill equipped 'ants' up and down the highway on my descent. But today I wasn't going to let this get to me. I decided to drop into a wind break away from the summit hullaballoo and seek a bit of solitude amongst the madness.

Got a good view of the Grey Corries, scene of an epic for me two days before :D
DSCF8638.JPG
Grey Corries from the Ben

And it was time to crack open that bottle and raise a toast or two :D
DSCF8639.JPG
To absent friends

I had a wander round the summit and along the cliffs. Better views than I had perhaps expected, given how big the summit plateau is. Heading down and there was a last look back at the jumble of the summit
DSCF8695.JPG
Looking back at the summit of the Ben

A couple of nice views heading off the summit and down toward Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe as compensation for being on the tourist highway.
DSCF8697.JPG
View from the Ben

DSCF8723.JPG
Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe

Luckily I was leaving the ant trail at the lochan, heading back toward the North Face car park. I chose to take the path to the end of the lochan and then head down the easy ridge leading off Carn Dearg. Nice dry, spongy ground (better than the zig-zags I had just endured) made easy going back to the track at the Allt a Mhuillinn, with some great final views of the Ben 8) :D 8) :D
DSCF8758.JPG
The Ben in decent

DSCF8768.JPG
The Ben from the Allt a Mhuillinn

Then it was a short trip back down to the car.

A great walk. In fact an excellent walk - well, I did have amazing conditions 8) :lol: If you can overcome the hullaballoo of the Ben Nevis summit then I would highly recommend it :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Ton up on Carn Mor Dearg

Postby kinley » Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

A perfect day for the Ben - well done.

Done this route twice and it's much better than starting in Glen Nevis for the pair :)

Some great pictures - sure that day will live long in the memory 8)
kinley

Postby Stretch » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Congrats Pete, it's a great ridge no doubt and well done for reaching 100. Love the shots looking back to CMD!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davgil » Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Congrats on the 100 PeteR!

I've done this route a couple of times and loved it too.
Good report and photos, well done!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon May 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Congratulations on reaching 100 PeteR. Looks like you had a great day for it - some excellent photos. Glad you also got that wee moment to yourself. Those things are important. :)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Ah, so nice. Clear pics too.

Once a week I seem to stumble upon the CMD + Nevis on this site. It's a sign! It's a SIGN!! :o
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon May 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Great stuff Pete. Congrats on the ton 8) Cant wait to do these, hopefully on a day like you had
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby jimandandrea » Mon May 02, 2011 8:42 pm

What a perfect day. Your pictures captured it all. Fantastic ones on the arete and also looking onto the summit. Pity about the wind but that did not seem to curb your enthusiasm or enjoyment.
Thanks for sharing that. Excellent report. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Congartulations on your 100 and a great report as well :thumbup: :clap: Some very detailed photos to help those who follow in your footsteps. No wonder you're "cock a hoop" at completing these two. :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tamw51 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Well done on the hundred hope to get there by the year end,well at least closeish!! :D

Great beer and hoped you enjoyed every last drop of ur hard earned beer! :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby iainwatson » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm

congrats on reaching 100 munro's :D
from reading your report and looking at the excellent pics you took it sure semed like a great day all in,well done :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Alastair S » Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 am

Congrats on the 100 - & in such style too. Excellent report on what mus have been a great day.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Couldn't have picked a better hill for the 100.
Well done!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby skuk007 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Congratulations on the 100 Peter :clap:
You certainly picked a great day for it, fabulous views all around. A beer and a toast well earned.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby michaelmcp » Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Well done on 100, will take me years to get there.
I did the CMD, arete and Ben Nevis too just the day earlier but from the normal tourist starting point. This looks a finer way to do it, some cracking pictures showing some great scenery and a great report too.
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland