walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the report it was meant to be

Not the report it was meant to be

Postby ikt68 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 02/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was supposed to be a walk report for the Glenshee six from Friday, but thanks to a dropped camera somewhere between Tolmount and Carn an Tuirc, that's not going to happen. But hey-ho the camera was old and while a bit annoyed at my own stupidity, wasn't too upset about having to buy a new toy. So with a new Olympus Tough (TG-310) - allegedly waterproof to 10 feet, drop resistant and freeze proof (all three claims still to be tested) I hit the trail at 6.50 to avoid the crowds.

Had been beaten back during two winter attempts by poor weather (plus a go last weekend, with my summer clothes no match for a wintry wind), so having done Beinn Ghlas twice, I wasn't too fussed about a third attempt so headed straight for Lawers by the low path.

It was a beautiful morning, but the wind was still cold; had a hard shell, hat and gloves on for the majority of the walk.

Reached Lawers at 8.40 then a fair amount of descent to the start of An Stuc, reaching the top after another hour .

The descent from An Stuc is, erm, interesting. Was a bit hairy in places for me; best not to look down. Reached Meall Garbh at about half ten. Then more descent before the final pull to Meall Greigh, reached at 11.25.

There is no path down to the dam, where you hook up with a farm track. The going was OK, but I imagine this would be a bit of a bog in the wet.

You then have about 4.5km of farm track to follow until another dam is reached, then a similar distance again over rough ground.

Took me a good 2 and a quarter hours to get from Meall Greig back to the car, by which point I was done in.

Uninteresting drive home made less interesting by effectively having to queue up from half a mile outside of Callander to then crawl through at a snails pace. Think it was just the volume of traffic. Can never understand what is quite so popular about Callander!

Was lucky with the weather, made for a great day out.Glad to have finally got these off the list at the fourth attempt!

And even more importantly, no sheep were harmed during the making of this report... :D

Iain

Leaving the car park

First sight of Lawers and An Stuc

Nearing Lawers

One down, three to go

Looking to An Stuc, Meall Garbh and Meall Greigh

An Stuc summit

An Stuc descent. Eek

Looking back to An Stuc

View from Meall Garbh

Long-ish slog to Meall Greigh

A grouse. Probably.

View from Meall Greigh

Start of farm track

Dam that marks the start of a long yomp over rough ground

Car park finally comes in to view
ikt68
Munro compleatist

Munros:156   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Not the report it was meant to be

Postby sloosh » Mon May 02, 2011 9:03 pm

I don't think much of your pics. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland