walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Postby Bruadair » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst a large number of the population was set to be glued to TV for some wedding or another.....I desided to head up to Glencoe and thought it was about time I tried a walk with one of the dogs so took along our 7 year old / first bred (Jess). I always had reservations about taking any of the dogs due to them being scent hounds (Beagles) and not trusted to be walked off the lead...which could on occasion make life a little difficult......and true to the breed....Jess hardly raised her nose from the ground for the duration of the walk.

We arrived at Glencoe Ski Centre carpark at approx 10.50am and set off up hill some 5 minutes later......I missed the footpath sign and ended up walking up via the mountain bike track (fortunately) which may have been a little longer, but definately gave a more sure footed assent. At this stage I'll apologise for quality of photo's but it is difficult to take a photo and hold back a Beagle with other hand.
P1010589.JPG
Veiw out to Rannaoch Moor from (NN263517)
The sunmmit was reached after 2 hours with Jess first to top out at 12.55 and where another walker kindly offered to take photo of us.
P1010597.JPG
Meall a'Bhuiridh summit with Jess
After taking some shots from summit (which turned out naff due to Beagle pull) we set off in direction of Creise....From the MaB summit the ridge to Creise looked a little daunting, but in reality the closer you get the less fearsome it looks and is crossed with ease...
P1010601.JPG
Descent and ridge line over to assend to Creise
P1010602.JPG
View back up Meall a Bhuiridh from ridge line approx (NN244500)
P1010603.JPG
View to SE from ridge line
P1010604.JPG
North up Cam Ghleann..in far distance you can just make out the King House Hotel surrounded by woodlands
The assent to Creise again from a distance looks daunting, but again is fairly easy, with two or three relatively easy scrambles....which were made slighty more difficult with having to manoeuvre / man handle Jess up areas where she was too short legged to manage on her own......but in no time we had reached ridge and walk along to Creise summit..
P1010609.JPG
Jess topping out on Creise
..some summit shots...
P1010610.JPG
Stob Dearg from Creise summit
P1010611.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor from Creise
...There was a fairly brisk wind at summit and desided to drop back down toward ridgeline before stopping for a cuppa and bite to eat.......It was a bummer having to scramble back up and over Meall a Bhuiridh before starting descent back to car. Unfortunately on descent I picked up the pathway and was grateful I had missed it on assent as it was a horrid walk down
P1010629.JPG
Loose scree pathway to Ski Centre and vastness of Rannoch Moor on descent.

A couple of wildlife shots from back at carpark.
P1010635.JPG
Wildlife Shot
P1010636.JPG
...............beats being stuck in front of TV.

Regards................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Postby Stretch » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Nice, a fellow beagle owner! Looks like a fine dog Bruadair. Mine is 10 now, but spends most of his time on one of his 4 different beds out on my parent's patio :lol: I doubt mine would ever pick his nose off the ground as well, and any wiff of rabbit and he'd be off lol.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks like you got a good day and your dog enjoyed the walk. :D Would agree on the crossing to Creise - looks daunting but is actually fine and you're up to the cairn before you know it.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruadair » Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Stretch wrote:Nice, a fellow beagle owner! Looks like a fine dog Bruadair. Mine is 10 now, but spends most of his time on one of his 4 different beds out on my parent's patio :lol: I doubt mine would ever pick his nose off the ground as well, and any wiff of rabbit and he'd be off lol.

Hi Stretch...........Currently we have 5 beagles....we breed and show (well misses does) mostly..Bruadair is our KC affix
have a look at our website www.bruadairbeagles.co.uk to see some of our dogs (hasn't been updated for a few months)

Regards......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 pm

rockhopper wrote:Looks like you got a good day and your dog enjoyed the walk. :D Would agree on the crossing to Creise - looks daunting but is actually fine and you're up to the cairn before you know it.

Hi Rock'r..............Yes was a good day and Jess loved it............she conked out when we got back to caravan. I didn't particularly enjoy Meall a'Bhuiridh....but going over to and up Creise was fun with splendid views.

Regards.............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Tenbob » Wed May 04, 2011 10:18 am

This brings up fresh memories. I just walked this yesterday! I remember too looking at the scramble up the Creise's ridge and thinking, oh no! But there was only a small part toward the top where you needed to use your hands. Personally, I thought it topped out just as I was enjoying it! In saying that, I didn't have a dog to lift!

I didn't make the mistake about the bike track as there were guys hurtling down the track as I started the walk. Looked like great fun.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Bruadair » Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 am

Tenbob wrote:This brings up fresh memories. I just walked this yesterday! I remember too looking at the scramble up the Creise's ridge and thinking, oh no! But there was only a small part toward the top where you needed to use your hands. Personally, I thought it topped out just as I was enjoying it! In saying that, I didn't have a dog to lift!

I didn't make the mistake about the bike track as there were guys hurtling down the track as I started the walk. Looked like great fun.

Hi Tenbob................I think it would be worth seeing the mountain bikers hammering down the track as it looked a bit fierce in places..........one things for sure.........it wouldn't be me.

Regards................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby smudger831 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Sorry I didn't do the walk over to Creise when I was there last week. It was a bit dainting and put me off. The path down is a bit of a nightmare so if I do go back up to do Creise I will be sorely tempted to use the chairlift to come back down.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby Bruadair » Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 pm

smudger831 wrote:Sorry I didn't do the walk over to Creise when I was there last week. It was a bit dainting and put me off. The path down is a bit of a nightmare so if I do go back up to do Creise I will be sorely tempted to use the chairlift to come back down.

Hi Smudger831....................Honestly the ridge isn't a problem...from a distance it looks narrow, but it's deceiving, and likewise the assent up to Creise again fairly straight forward............I can obviously relate to pathway...maybe if you go again you could thumb it for a lift with mountain biker......now that would be scarey.

Regards...................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland