walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first wild camp with a wander round Glen Ey & Glenshee

My first wild camp with a wander round Glen Ey & Glenshee

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Rìgh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, Càrn Bhac, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Glas Tulaichean, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 25 hours

Distance: 68 km

Ascent: 4100m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 29 April - Saturday 30 April
Approx:
Normal walk 25.5hrs (moving 19.5hrs, stops 6hrs)
Friday dinner and camp 11.5hrs

Friday 29 April: Carn an Tuirc, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe, Cairn of Claise, Glas Maol, Creag Leacach, The Cairnwell, Carn a'Gheoidh
Saturday 30 April: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor, Carn Bhac, An Socach (Braemar), Carn Aosda

The last time I slept in a tent was with the BB in the 1970’s so I set off early on Friday for Glenshee half worried and half elated not being at all sure how it was going to go.

Had a fairly straightforward plan in mind – Day 1 to cover the east 6 munros with my daypack, get back to the car mid afternoon, have an early dinner, pick up my big rucksack, head off west to The Cairnwell, Carn a Gheoidh and hopefully set up the tent for the night at Loch nan Eun. Day 2 to cover the Glen Ey 5 munros and finish with Carn Aosda. Sounded simple enough....on paper that is.

Parked the car close to the ski centre and walked down the A93 (this was the easy bit). Left the road at NO148797 down the heathery slope to cross the Cairnwell Burn at the bridge. Could see Carn an Tuirc in the distance and there was a track on and off for most of the way up the side of Allt.

Last edited by rockhopper on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: My first wild camp with a wander round Glen Ey & Glenshee

Postby kinley » Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 pm

17.5kg :shock: Ouch! We've spent a long time getting down to a lot less.

Love your "ready-brek" hares :lol:

Looks a great trip and a big one 8)

Great to be out and about right now 8)
kinley

Postby Stretch » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Wow, are you able to walk this week Rockhopper? Or even stand up? :lol:

Way to take full advantage of the fine weather this weekend, love the mosaic!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gagfax » Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Thats a lot of weight over a long way. Well done, now you can drive yourself daft trying to get a smaller, lighter pack :D
gagfax

Postby Dannyboy » Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Geez! You must have really got to appreciate pain after that! Got some good pictures though with some great colours so i guess its worth it!
I dont understand why people walk in gaiters either- i get really sweaty ankles unless its freezing so only wear them when necessary, maybe it makes some feel comfortable?!
Dannyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Another epic report, Pauls & Helens gonna have a hard job choosing a winner for May and 14 Munros into the bag as well.
Well done Rockhopper
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Alastair S » Tue May 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Geesie-peeps rockhopper - "first wild camp" : 68km. 4100m. 2 days. 17.5kg. Start with a gentle introduction why don't you :lol: What have you planned now that you've got that sighter out the way?!

Epic (if mad) stuff. Some super pics in there and the montage is a great idea. Hope you are fully recovered - if its been 35 years since you last camped then that puts you in the same age bracket as me so I know that things are going to ache for a while!
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 pm

17.5kg :shock: - yikes ! At least you took it easy with that pack :lol: . Seriously, great effort :D .

As for the gaitors - I just don't get this :? . Last week I met a couple wearing them on a bone dry track in 20C heat - you couldn't find a bog if you tried. Not taking the mick... is there a reason you are meant to wear them in all situations that I don't know about?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Alastair S wrote:- if its been 35 years since you last camped then that puts you in the same age bracket as me

:lol: :lol: Close Alastair - I see you're just the other side of x whereas I've got a couple of years until I get there. Still, I think we have more stamina, staying power and dogged determination than the younger ones.....or maybe (in my case) just a bit stubborn :lol:
rockhopper

Postby happydaysinthehills » Wed May 04, 2011 2:13 pm

This is epic Rockhopper, fantastic effort. :clap:
happydaysinthehills

Munros:77   

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Well, you've been saying for a while now on this forum that you'd be wild camping this year and you've been true to your word. I'd better watch my back - you'll be catching me up soon (but then so will most people on here at the rate I'm going!) And top marks for your choice of campsite next to Loch nan Eun. When I was las there it was a hauntingly eerie place that was fully living up to it's name. Brilliant idea with the summit mosaic. Love it! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Haven't you just moved some stones around to make different appearances of summit cairns? :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm

kinley wrote:17.5kg :shock: Ouch! We've spent a long time getting down to a lot less. Love your "ready-brek" hares :lol:
yup - will need to look into the weight issue. Re hares, usually I'm not quick enough with the camera...but was quite proud of my ptarmigan shot. :lol:

Stretch wrote:Wow, are you able to walk this week Rockhopper? Or even stand up? :lol:
Actually not that bad - but then I wasn't going fast. Hot shower at home helped, blister on left big toe and sunburnt backs of legs. Try to do my 30 mile commute by bike as much as possible when the weather's good which helps a lot.

gagfax wrote:Thats a lot of weight over a long way. Well done, now you can drive yourself daft trying to get a smaller, lighter pack :D
It had droppped all the way down to 14.5kg when I got back to the car (no 2kg of water and food all gone). Have been looking at self inflating mats but they're heavier than the 300g foam roll mat so not eaxctly going the right way at the moment. :shock:

Dannyboy wrote:I dont understand why people walk in gaiters either- i get really sweaty ankles unless its freezing so only wear them when necessary, maybe it makes some feel comfortable?!
agree - problem was I was still carrying mine in the rucksack along with all my other "just in cases" :lol:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Another epic report and 14 Munros into the bag as well.
maybe I'm taking this fuel/driving time saving effort a bit too far :lol:
rockhopper

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed May 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Absolutely brilliant Rockhopper :clap: Love the mosaic. Need a lie down after reading that :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:As for the gaitors - I just don't get this :? . Last week I met a couple wearing them on a bone dry track in 20C heat - you couldn't find a bog if you tried. Not taking the mick... is there a reason you are meant to wear them in all situations that I don't know about?
with you there Leithy - ground was so dry I could walk through the peat hags& bogs and not sink down at all 8)

happydaysinthehills wrote:This is epic Rockhopper, fantastic effort. :clap:
cheers - enjoyed every minute though it'd be a lot different if it hadn't been for the weather :shock:

Graeme Dewar wrote:I'd better watch my back - you'll be catching me up soon (but then so will most people on here at the rate I'm going!) And top marks for your choice of campsite next to Loch nan Eun. When I was last there it was a hauntingly eerie place that was fully living up to its name. 8)
You'll be off and walking soon no doubt and keeping well ahead :lol: The loch was lovely and certainly in a great setting 8)

kevsbald wrote:Haven't you just moved some stones around to make different appearances of summit cairns? :D
well I was carrying a foldaway shovel in my rucksack so reckoned I may as well use it :lol:
rockhopper

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland