walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag

Quinag

Postby Frogwell » Wed May 04, 2011 11:19 am

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 04/05/2011

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I think I'm probably going to have to put the Quinag at the top of my favourite list to date. Despite the extreme haze and fierce wind on the days I was up there, it was still extremely enjoyable and I fully intend to return on a clearer day. I arrived late afternoon after a late start in the morning and then a couple of hundred mile drive. The intention was to get one or two of the peaks done the first day, complete it the second morning and then move onto Stac Pollaidh or something for the second afternoon.

Setting off from the car park I think I probably had the hills to myself as everyone else had already been and gone by this time. The ascent of Spidean Coinich is relatively straightforward although steep near the summit. Staggering views all the way though. I really wish it hadn't been so hazy as the camera just couldn't pick it up - I should have been blasting through the memory cards, but as it was I took very few pictures.

By the time I'd ambled up and down Spidean Coinich and hill 713 (or 714 depending on which map you believe) I found myself a bealach between 713 and a scramble up to the ridge leading to Sail Ghorm. It was 19:00 by this point and I figured I'd plant my tent for the night. Despite finding a bit of shelter behind a little mini ridge the wind was still substantial and erecting the tent needed care. Tent planted, I made myself some tea and watered my pack n' go dry bag of something or another. I hid behind a rock right on the cliff edge while I had my dinner, admiring what would have been absolutely breath taking views had there been less haze, but spectacular none the less.

After dinner I walked down the hill a bit to get some water from a small burn, ambled about a bit, got ready for the night and eventually got into my sleeping bag at about 23:00. Between then and about 01:00 I reckon I got about 20 minutes sleep. Every time I would drift off the wind would pick up some more and the phenomenal noise whistling past would wake me up again. The wind was definitely on the increase and I figured at best I wasn't going to get much sleep, at worst my tent and I were going to find ourselves going over the cliff edge 20 yards away. According to my map I was only a couple of miles away from the car at this point and the path had looked relatively decent earlier on. Putting on my best failure hat, I packed everything up, strapped my pack on, and trotted off down the hill back to the car. Just to help my mood It started raining as soon as I got the pack on, and stopped raining as I reached the car an hour later. Yay.

Ten minutes later I had the back seats folded down, mat and bag out and was relatively happily drifting off to a nice quiet sleep for a few hours.

The next morning brought clear skies and sunshine so after a quick tea I set off with my smaller pack to get the other two summits submitted. Again, crazy amounts of haze, even more than the day before, but a truly excellent walk none the less. Difficult going in one or two places requiring a bit of technical fancy footwork, but by and large quite straight forward. I was glad I had quit camp the night before though, the wind had picked up quite substantially and my little anemometer was reading a couple of gusts over 50 mph. The hills were pretty deserted and I only met a few people the whole day, and we all had a good chortle at the MWIS claims of 20mph gusting 30.

Theres not really a whole lot to write about the walk, it's one that the pictures really should do all the talking, but due to the haze there wasn't a whole lot of picture taking going on, so I think I'll just have to go back in the autumn and take the quantity of pictures it really deserves.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Quinag

Postby Alastair S » Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Really great photos despite all the haze. Shame about the wind - seems to be a constant feature of the weather recently, hence all the problems with fires. Haven't tackled Quinag yet but hope to get up there this summer - has to be my favourite area of Scotland.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Vick1 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Did these hills last June on a really warm day Back up in Ullapool Whit week and cant wait now

Did you spot the best photo spot on the hill ?
Attachments
rr.bmp.jpg
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby Frogwell » Wed May 04, 2011 9:58 pm

The one good thing about the wind of course means that a decent progress can be made without getting too sweaty. last Thursday I walked to the falls of Glomach and there was about a 3 - 4mph wind behind me, which of course meant I was walking in no wind whatsoever. While most of the walk was on pretty level, well maintained farm track I found my shirt was absolutely soaked in sweat after a few miles due to the muggy evening and lack of wind.

Conversely I did the Brothers Ridge in Glen Sheil the following day - a walk with some pretty steep ascents, yet the wind kept me looking, well, maybe not decent, but not like a drowned rat at least.

Definitely put the Quinag on your radar Alistair, you won't regret it. I read your Suilven and Ben More reports and if you like them you'll like Quinag.

Got pretty much the same photo Vick - it's just in mine the sky is whited out with no feature and the ground in the distance is whited out with haze. Plus of course there was no one on the rock. I didn't dare go out on it myself - figuring that the wind was easily strong enough to make me a statistic. I made do with the less impressive outcrop on the way down Spidean Coinich.

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 am

Nice one - I like the idea of camping up there - maybe this hill will be a good place for me to do that, as it's quite easy to get onto (and I don't have any lightweight stuff).

These ones are very close to the top of the list of amazing hills I haven't been up yet. Hope to change that soon.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby foggieclimber » Thu May 05, 2011 8:05 am

Frogwell wrote:I think I'm probably going to have to put the Quinag at the top of my favourite list to date.

Out of 650+ hills Quinag is still in my top ten
foggieclimber

Postby magicdin » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

Totally agree with comments about Quinag - one of the highlights of my Corbett round :)
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby kevsbald » Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 am

Looks pretty tasty to me - nice report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland