walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair, Beinn a' Chroin, An Casteal

Beinn Chabhair, Beinn a' Chroin, An Casteal

Postby Macgerbil » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 18/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 950m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at layby on A82 opposite Derrydarroch Farm 09:00
Followed path by farm up to mini microwave pylon, then headed off across lower slopes of Stob Glas.
Crossed Allt a Chuilinn burn and up between Meall nan Tarmachan and Beinn Chabhair, picked up path and followed to top.11:20 Patches of snow here and there.
11:40 Followed path oss SE and round to eastern slopes and down to bealach 12:00.
Then up to Bealach Buidhe and up to Beinn a' Chroin 13:00.
Visited both ends at started back down 13:20 this time following path which i had missed on way up. Across bealach and up path to An Casteal 14:10.
14:30 followed path north over castle and down twistin hill to start of ascent to Sron Gharbh, heading off NW across slope to cross Allt Andoran and back to Derrydarroch 16:00.
Sunny, clear dry day and very warm. Only saw 6 others all day.
Macgerbil
Munro compleatist

Munros:52   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn Chabhair, Beinn a' Chroin, An Casteal

Postby csjoiner » Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 am

7 hrs is some time fe this walk you done very well but others trying this walk need tae add more time i walked these hill from inverarnan beinn chabhair 1st then beinn a chroin followed by an casteal then walked out on the ridge past the twisted hills and down after sron gharbh down to the lay by where i got a lift off Allan fe bearsden back tae the drovers inn this took 10 hrs with barely a stop so well done pal but fellow mere mortals make more time for this walk and dont get caught out cos in worse conditions especially wet ones this walk could take 12 hrs after 3 weeks with no rain this was still hard going through the peat bogs which are everywhere
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Beinn Chabhair, Beinn a' Chroin, An Casteal

Postby skuk007 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Nice one, sounds almost identical to my report though I would have struggled to keep up with you at that pace.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland