walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Grey Corries Ripper and Bin Laden

The Grey Corries Ripper and Bin Laden

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Cruach Innse, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 02/05/2011

Time taken: 21 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 2400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As part of an overnight trek into the Grey Corries, Darren and I had decided to tick off the two Innse Corbetts prior to a recce round the Lairig Leacach bothy and a fine evening stroll up the coire between Stob Ban and Stob Coire Claurigh. It was to be a very memorable trip as we really had the finest of conditions. We parked the car, got ready to roll and I prepared myself to only take in all I would need in a 35-litre rucksack. Would it be enough? We set off at great speed along the land rover track and happened upon a rather unusual gentleman. He was a little wooden to say the least. We made fine progress but as began our climb up Cruach Innse, the heat took its toll. Jeezo, would we even get to our pre-designated camping spot just below Stob Ban?! No matter, on we pressed and as we topped out on Cruach Innse, we had fine views across the Easains, Sgurr Innse and Stob Ban. Not a soul around - the beauty of the Corbetts - not that I'm unsociable of course. We descended quickly to the bealach and then began the steepish climb up Sgurr Innse. Again, this was a mighty wee peak, which we could only really appreciate from our 'unanticipated downclimb' - others have described such manoovers as 'untechnical' - I like to think we showed aptitude and proficiency but it may have only gleaned a B+. As we looked back, we could see the shelf, which would have made things easier but it's half the fun! We didn't muck ahout as time was getting on and we wanted to catch the sunset from Stob Ban. We had a brief recce round the bothy and then continued up a fine path to the bealach, taking time out to re-stock our dwindling watter. At the bealach, we found a perfect pitching spot, camped up (I'm free - again) and had oor dinner before an evening stroll/scramble up Stob Ban. What a brilliant sunset it was (as others will testiclefy) and we took a gamut of photos when suddenly, Darren took on the appearance of something not of this terrain. The developing darkness and sunset with the camera aimed at his silhouette projected an awful image and made my spincter loosen. He was the Grey Corries Ripper! Aiiieeeeeeee! I left him to it and scarpered down the tricky scree slopes to open the hip flask and calm the nerves. It was a pretty cold night and I slept little. At 0510, just as I was drifting off to sleep, Darren awoke me with a shout that the sunrise looked 'awesome'. I'll f**kin sunrise ye....oh yes, it was rather lovely. We revelled in that, breakfasted, then de-camped (free I am not said Yoda). We were on top of Stob Coire Claurigh by 0710 and Darren had nabbed the 1st Munro top, Ceannain, by 0740. I then received news that Bin Laden had been killed and that they had thrown him in the sea - I thought it was rather ironic that in a million years, he'll be oil. Our romp across the Grey Corries was memorable with crystal clear visibility, a somewhat biting wind but beautiful conditions. A number of spots lend themselves to some amazing shots as hopefully this report depicts. Our walk across to Sgurr Choinnich Mor was also a delight although the eventual descent back to the car via the disused tramway did result in an unexpected 'a cheval' manouevre, which was precarious. 2 Corbetts, 4 Munros and I'm ready for the Munro 50 challenge. A fantastic 21 hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

wh1.jpg
Our revered wooden friend
wh2.jpg
Cruach Innse summit - to the Easains
wh3.jpg
That's one small step for aiiieeeee.....
wh4.jpg
From Sgurr Innse summit to brother Cruach
wh5.jpg
Sgurr Innse - you little beauty
wh6.jpg
The boffy to the Ban
wh_tent.jpg
Testing the new tent w Sgurr Innse for co
wh7.jpg
Beautiful Easains in evening glow
wh9.jpg
The pink corries
wh10.jpg
Help meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
wh11.jpg
Mooooarrrnaaaann!
wh12.jpg
Stob Ban at time approaching Bin Laden's death
wh13.jpg
The Grey Corries
wh14.jpg
Cooooeeeee
wh15.jpg
Last peak of the day - Sgurr Choinnich Mor
wh16.jpg
Gimme infinity!
wh17.jpg
Darren makes love to the dam - shocking behaviour
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The Grey Corries Ripper and Bin Laden

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Great walk, captured beautifully - what the hell is the ripper doing to that dam :shock: .....I bet there is an internet site for that :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Stretch » Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Great stuff Kev, I remember that dam and the whole bit across was a bit tricky when I did the Grey Corries. I remember being completely freaked out by the wooden minister too, creepy eyes on that thing! Without being overtly patriotic ... concerning OBL I will only add :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Entertaining stuff as usual Kev :thumbup: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Very nice Kev :thumbup:

Dunno how you manage overnight with a 35l....that's the size of my daysack :? :problem: :think:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I could have done with a 36 litre! I was parched at the end. A fleecy top wld have been better too!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Nice report and . Was up here on Friday avoiding talk of wedding dresses and Shergar, although I thought I was doing well just doing the four Corries Munros. It's a great ridge :D I feel a winter epic coming on :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

PeteR, think it wld be tremendous en hiver!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great walk, captured beautifully - what the hell is the ripper doing to that dam :shock: .....I bet there is an internet site for that :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

excellent stuff Kevin. Cracking pictures. Bet you guys were a bit nack'd after that mammoth walk 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby CurlyWurly » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 am

Tip Top Kev. I just love the 'JFK' moment...

Stob Ban at time approaching Bin Laden's death

Now that you have summed up the walk perfectly, there is no need for me to bother with a report but here are a couple of those panoramas I took

2011 05 02_0079.JPG

2011 05 02_0087.JPG

2011 05 02_0092.JPG
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby malky_c » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am

Don't wear yourself out Kev - you've got another 50 of these to do shortly :shock:

Looked worth the effort though. Nice one 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alastair S » Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Great stuff there Kev & all the best for the upcoming 50 8)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby davetherave » Thu May 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Kev,

As ever,a very enjoyable read. What do you think about the pair of corbetts? I thought they were pretty good hills,probably the highlight of the trip we did when we were in that area last.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Excellent stuff gents. Now I know I was right to spend the Bin Laden Bank Holiday green with envy knowing you two were out there! Isn't Sgurr Innse a corker of a hill! Kev, that looks like a nice little warm-up for next week - I'll have my work cut out keeping pace next Thursday! And Darren, what's happened to your count??? 99 - how'd that happen??? I thought I was only joking when I said you'd be overtaking me soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Smashing stuff Kev!

Good luck with your 50 munro challenge!! Hope you're getting plenty of rest!! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland