walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach

An Teallach

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 am

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 27/04/2011

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 21.2 km

Ascent: 1610m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm late; in my heart of hearts as I set off at 01:30 I know I've missed the best light. I've the best part of a 200 mile drive and an ascent of 1,060 metres over 6 km to make before sunrise which is scheduled for 05:34. Hmmm; 4 hours; that's just not going to happen!! Todays trip isn't just about what is arguably Scotlands' finest mountain; I'm after an image looking south along the main ridge; and the best light at this time of year will be inside an hour after sunrise.

An Teallach 1.jpg

I'm cursing the snooze button on my alarm as I'm halfway up the mountain (which I started the ascent of in the dark) when the sun peeps over the horizon. At around 06:15 the light is at it's best; the mountain is glowing orange. I'm just half an hour late to the summit to catch the best of it. Not to worry though; the scene is still stunning; one of the most famous landscapes in the United Kingdom opens out before me; one instantly recognisable to mountain lovers... An Teallach.

The imposing sight of the main ridge of the mighty An Teallach seen in early morning light from the northern summit, Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill (1062 masl).

20110427 - 0647 - An Teallach - 15x8 - B.jpg

The camera gear... Weight kept to a minimum by use of a carbon fibre tripod.

An Teallach 2.jpg

Me with the ridge to come behind me; I had to take this shot to send off to my colleagues that were working - apparently I have a smug grin - never!! :?

An Teallach 3.jpg

After breakfast on the northern summit time to move along; the ascent of Sgùrr Fiona looks decently steep and there's a little trepidation as I descend to the col.

An Teallach 4.jpg

As is often the case though, it turns out not to be as steep as it looks; and I'm comfortable enough on the ascent to stop and take a picture looking back to the northern munro...

An Teallach 5.jpg

Another view back from the summit of Sgùrr Fiona; a rest from carrying the pack with camera gear!

An Teallach 6.jpg

The scenery in all directions is breathtaking; I'm spending most of my time sat down absorbing it; today isn't a day for a fast walk. My strategy of saving the finest hills for the finest days is coming good I think to myself. And I feel like I'm owed this after some winter trudges in blizzards and knee deep snow. Best of all though; this early in the morning I have the mountain to myself; not a soul in sight; I can feel the stress leaving me; there is nowhere I'd rather be...

An Teallach 7.jpg

Looking toward Lord Berkeley's Seat. As it happens I'll take the bypass path; mainly because I'm worried about the descent on the far side of the Corrag Bhuidhe buttress which is described in the books as a graded rock climb; something I've not done any of, and the words 'several fatalaties' are ringing in my ears... Sometimes its best to get to know a mountain slowly I'm thinking... I'll probably come back and traverse the top some time. Still, leaving my pack on the summit of Sgùrr Fiona I couldn't resist a little explore along the main ridge; this section certainly holds no problems, but I'm aware the difficulties are later on and conscious there is no one else here.

An Teallach 8.jpg

View back to the northern munro from just below the summit of Sgurr Fiona.

An Teallach 9.jpg

A couple of pictures from the bypass path; personally I found no issues at all with this path; and the drop to the side of the path isn't too sheer; easy walking... Some pictures so you can make your own mind up whether or not it's for you.

An Teallach 10.jpg

An Teallach 11.jpg

An Teallach 12.jpg

Still I hadn't seen a soul; perfect. How many people can say they have this traverse to themselves on a day like today I wonder; definitely worth the early start. As I find a table like plateau with a near sheer drop I can't resist setting the 'proper' camera up on the tripod... To steal a phrase from The Lion King; Everything the light touches is our Kingdom... And today; with the mountain completely to myself; it really does feel like it is mine...

Kingdom.jpg

Anyway, enough of that, all too soon it's over and you find yourself looking back. The descent from the Corrag Bhuidhe Buttress before the ascent of Stob Cadha Gobhlach is fairly steep but there is nothing that poses any technical difficulty; just be careful on those knees!! Looking back north, the main An Teallach ridge is seen here from the summit of Stob Cadha Gobhlach at 960 masl...

An Teallach 13.jpg

Stitched panoramic form the summit of Sàil Liath showing the ridge from the south; most people seemed to be tackling it in this direction and this is where I saw my first people. Some had stayed overnight in the Shenavall Bothy; I'm not sure that's necessary this isn't a particularly long walk, but hey camping out is fun...

An Teallach 14.jpg

Me on the summit of Sàil Liath after a successful traverse, and a walk that will live long in the memory; not my favourite walk to date though, this comes in at number 2; I'll reveal my number 1 in my century post to follow...

An Teallach 15.jpg

My route using Satmap...

2011 - 04 - 27 - An Teallach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The stats... By my count, a full 4.5 hours spent gazing across my kingdom. ;)

An incredible mountain; reaffirming my view that Scotland is the worlds most stunning country...

An Teallach 16.jpg
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: An Teallach

Postby monty » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:10 am

Tremendous Andrew. Great photos. Great report. You had the mountain to yourself in glorious sunshine. :D
monty

Postby tango » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:34 am

Andy excellent snaps, im looking at doing a similar route in the summer so thanks for the photo recce.. :D
tango

Postby Alastair S » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Stunning stuff there Andrew. Showing true dedication too. Looking forward to the #100 TR :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kevsbald » Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 pm

This one escaped me. Fantastic stuff.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 pm

You're racking them up at a fair rate Andrew :) - what a cracking looking day. I often get the hills to myself as well due to my very late starts :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

fantastic Andrew, that first pic was worth the effort - brilliant, I confess to being with Leithysuburbs though - lay in late, set off at 10.30 / 11 get the place to yourself (not the best light though) ....... give us a hint at that No.1 :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:You're racking them up at a fair rate Andrew :)

Yep loving the hills have some reports I haven't got round to yet; think I'm on 39 for the 2011 to date :)

ChrisW wrote:give us a hint at that No.1 :lol:

The information is there if you look hard enough in my ton up report... But to save you the trouble; The Ring of Steall in the Mamores gets my vote...

But that's since been equalled at worst and at best overtaken by Liathach...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby GraemeMac » Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 pm

like kevsbald I completely missed this one, Fantastic stuff :D . Great photos looking towards Beinn Dearg Mor. I start nearly all of my walks these days at ridiculous o'clock to get that feeling when the mountain is all yours
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby goth_angel » Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Wow 8)
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 pm

goth_angel wrote:Wow 8)

I can only assume you're talking about me and not the mountain... :lol:

Kidding...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland