walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wreckage

Wreckage

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Date walked: 30/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read the posting from ‘Sugary’ where they found the plane wreckage on the Pennines has got me thinking about other wrecks in the Lakes;

Does anyone know where they are as it would be good to take a few in en-route. It also gives another purpose to a walk and I’m interested in that kind of thing. I have seen one on High Rise above Greenup Edge but don’t know if there are any others?

Paul
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Re: Wreckage

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi, I know there is plane wreckage near to Great Carrs in the Coniston fells, I will try to pick up some photos :)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi there Susan – thanks for the info, it would be good if you could dig out some pictures of the wreck. Have you been there yourself?

In answer to your earlier question regarding this W/E trip – were off to Ullswater area as we’ll have our 22 month old son with us so will have to ‘temper’ our urge to go light and go high! It will be short walks this W/E as its not too good having him in the carrier for too long – despite having the widely recognised Mac pack vamoose for him to settle in and watch Dad do all the hard work :(
37lumleyst

Postby Can 0f Airy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi 37lumleyst. I don't know about any crashes in the Lakes but this is a very interesting site to have a rummage around:

Air Crash Sites Scotland

Although I'm amazed that there's no mention on there of the Canberra wreck that I visited near the summit of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor a few weeks ago. It crashed in January 1956 and substantial wreckage remains (wing and engines).

The Air Crash website gives grid refs which if you're tempted you can use with Geograph to see if anyone has posted photos. I find looking on geograph a bit like cheating but it's been incredibly helpful to me in finding out bikeable tracks and camping spots and it's how I came to know about the Canberra wreck.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks for the web link – unfortunately Scotland isn’t easily accessible for me as I live a good 3 hours away but I do try to get up that way at least twice a year so I’ll try to incorporate some of the site’s on my next visit. We’ve not long come back from another stunning week on Skye – we were there over the Easter week and enjoyed the unseasonably warm and dry weather, almost 7 days of clear sky’s and dry the entire time!

Un-heard of for the West coast :lol: :lol:
37lumleyst

Postby susanmyatt » Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Hello, the wreckage on Great Carrs is of a Royal Canadian Air Force Handley Page Halifax bomber, not seen it personally but we will be doing all the Coiston felss(less Weatherlam) next weekend when we stay at a hostel called The Birks in the Duddon Valley, will post some of my own photos then,until that heres a couple,Sue :D
w1new.jpg
Taken by David Hall, great website
strnew.jpg
www.stridingedge.net, superb site, great chap
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby 37lumleyst » Sun May 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I’ve been doing a little digging and have come up with some more plane crash sites in the Lakes;

Skiddaw – fragments of a wellington bomber crashed in December 1942 at NY250 285, also a B17 crashed near Randal Crag in 1934 at NY256 297

Scafell there are remains of two hurricanes crashed in 1941 at NY209 049 and NY 211 049. There’s also a Dominie that crashed in 1947 close to Broad Crag at NY219 078

Coniston Old Man – as posted above by Sue

I appreciate that we shouldn’t all rush out to the exact spots listed above, but if you are walking in the area, than spotting plane wreckage give an added purpose to any walk. Let me know if any of you find the sites.

Regards,

Paul
37lumleyst

Postby alanm » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Can 0f Airy wrote:
Although I'm amazed that there's no mention on there of the Canberra wreck that I visited near the summit of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor a few weeks ago. It crashed in January 1956 and substantial wreckage remains (wing and engines).

It is on the site
http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/canberra_c-t-sagairt-mor.htm

Was up there myself in March....had no idea it was going to be there. Quite a surprise when I stumbled upon the wing and part of the fuselage in the mist. Good to find out the story behind it.
alanm

Munros:242   Corbetts:75
Fionas:50   Donalds:26+7
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:40

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:27 am

37lumleyst wrote:Was up there myself in March....had no idea it was going to be there. Quite a surprise when I stumbled upon the wing and part of the fuselage in the mist. Good to find out the story behind it.

I agree totaly - its always good to fiund out what and why when it comes to wreckage on the hills side :)
37lumleyst

Postby Liebestoter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I know it's not the Lake District but I came across this wreckage at Higher Shelf Stones in the Peak District
Attachments
B-29 Wreckage -6.JPG
B-29 Wreckage -5.JPG
B-29 Superfortress Memorial.JPG
B-29 Wreckage -3.JPG
B-29 Wreckage -4.JPG
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland