walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain

Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Redrock » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 27/04/2011

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 726m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stuchd an Lochain seemed the perfect choice for a near perfect day. I looked like a pleasantly short hill day which was ideal for me to get back into my stride after a minor injury (see Beinn Achaladair) - making sure I was fit for some longer walks planned soon. I had climbed Meall Buidhe in November - on the day that the really cold weather was heading south - but delays at the start of that day meant that Stuchd an Lochain had to wait for another day! This was it!

P1060189.JPG
Stuchd an Lochain from Glen Lyon

I started off from the parking place at the dam and planned to follow the Walkhighlands route. When I arrived at the cairn at the bend in the road I decided to take to the hill path. After a short steep boggy section it turned into a reasonable hill path which climbed streadily upwards so that the boathouse was well below me when I arrived above it.

P1060193.JPG
Above the boathouse

That's when the steep and eroded path started and continued for about 300 metres of so. It felt a bit like climbing up a stream bed but thankfully it was fairly dry most of the way! :) There was some better bits of path in places but I fear they will also erode in time. There's an argument here for the kind of well maintained mountain path you get in National Trust areas!

P1060195.JPG
Steep and eroded path!

Eventually emerging onto the ridge It was a relatively short walk uphill - getting steeper again - onto Creag an Fheadain following the fenceline and then southwards towards Sron Chona Choirein to pay a visit to the Munro top.

P1060196.JPG
To Creag an Fheadain

P1060202.JPG
On Sron Chona Choirein

By now the summit of Stuchd an Lochain was in clear view rising high above the almost circular Lochan nan Cat.

P1060205.JPG
Stuchd an Lochain and Lochan nan Cat

A pleasant walk along the ridge followed by a final steeper climb took me onto the summit.

P1060222.JPG
Towards the summit

Being a near cloudless day there were clear views of the mountains all round. Ben Lawers with all its satellites stood out great to the east. The mountains of Glen Coe were clearly seen above view of the Loch an Daimh. Way over Rannoch Moor Ben Nevis loomed large even in the distance.

P1060211.JPG
Ben Lawers hills

P1060218.JPG
Glen Coe and Loch an Daimh

P1060219.JPG
Looming Ben Nevis

I spent a bit of time enjoying lunch having been joined by a hill climber from Crieff who kindly took my summit photo - and then I took his. Set-up photos never work as well on mountians!

P1060213.JPG
Summit picture - Stuchd an Lochain

After enjoying the view for a time it was time to set off back down, retracing my steps back to the start point - back down that steep approach path. It was okay at this time of year but I imagine it could be very hazardous in ice and snow. :?

P1060227.JPG
The steep path down

I was back to the car in an hour and twenty minutes and soon on the way home enjoying a very beautiful Glen Lyon.

Stuchd an Lochain had proved to be a really enjoyable mountian and it was not too long a day on the hill. I was driving in the car from Cowdenbeath for as long as I was on the hill! It took about two hours for the journey home. But thankfully drive up Glen Lyon and back was thoroughly enjoyable! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Nice report and pictures - looks like you had a gread day for it.
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby niblue » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:22 am

Nice report. Stuchd an Lochain is a lovely little hill and one of only a few munro's I've been up twice.
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am

Nice report Redrock. Some excellent pictures in the sunshine. :D
monty

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 am

This is nice wee walk and I just loved the walk along the shoulder towards the top. Your photo of that is almost identical toi the one I took ! Nice one :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Tenbob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Glad to see you had a nice day for your walk Redrock. I tackled Stuchd an Lochain after Meall Buidhe a couple of years ago and the weather was pants. The steep, eroded path you talk of WAS pretty much a stream when I walked it. I did vow to come back one day when the weather is better.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Redrock » Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Tenbob wrote: I did vow to come back one day when the weather is better.

It's definitely worth a return visit, Tenbob. It's not the highest of Munros in the area but it does command some amazing views of the hills all around - and well up to the north. And the actual climb didn't take long. I especially enjoyed the final ascent to the summit - a nice wee climb up after the ridge walk - and then you were there at the top! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

That's my kind of walk Redrock - some cracking views from that wee hill :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland