walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar Four

Lochnagar Four

Postby Scotshiker » Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Distance: 26 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its been a while since we've been able to get out to the mountains and decide to do the four other Munro's of Lochnagar as we did Cac Carn Beag back in 09.
DSCF0087a.jpg
We set off from Spittal of Glen Muick carpack earlyish Saturday morning along Loch Muick
DSCF0098a.jpg
DSCF0100a.jpg
IMG_0058 Cuidhe Crom(1083m)Cac Carn Beag(1150m)Meikle Pap(980m).jpg
IMG_0124 Bridge over Black Burn.jpg
IMG_0046 Male Chaffinch.jpg
, the weather was perfect and we planned to set base camp somewhere around Broad Cairn and chill for the rest of the day and head out to do the summits on Sunday. Although the tempertures were high through the day they dropped to -3.5c through the night. We set off early Sunday morning, the weather was perfect with clear blue skies but a fair amount of haze in the atmosphere. There is a farm hut/shed named Sandy's Seat just before and to the left of Broad Cairn
DSCF4429.jpg
DSCF4430.jpg
DSCF4434.jpg
. It's a straight forward walk up to the summit of broad Cairn with some fantastic views
DSCF4439.jpg
DSCF4449 Derek at Broad Cairn Summit.jpg
IMG_0268 Me at Broad Cairn Summit(1012m).jpg
. We stopped to take some pics and headed down and over to Cairn Bannock
IMG_0315 Derek at Cairn Bannonck Summit (1012m).jpg
IMG_0319 Me at Cairn Bannonck Summit (1012m).jpg
. The walking was easy and we had a beautiful day for it and again stopped to take lots of pics. The views were just amazing we could see Bennachie (Oxen Craig) and the Mither Tap
IMG_0230 Oxen Craig & Mither Tip in the distance.jpg
away back easterly in Aberdeenshire and Ben Nevis & CMD
IMG_0376 Ben Nevis,CMD, Aonachs in the distance.jpg
to the south and the Whole of the Cairngorms Range, it was just breath taking but the haze was not so good for our pics but we still got some crackers. We Desended Cairn Bannock and headed over to our 3rd Munro of the day Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
IMG_0367 Me at Carn an t-Sagairt Mor Summit(1047m).jpg
IMG_0371 Derek at Summit 3 (Cairgorms Range behind).jpg
. From this summit you can see the Whole Cairngorms Mountain range and it just amazing. We then desended and came across some plane wreckage
DSCF4526.jpg
, took a few pics and continued over to number four. We took a break when we reached the summit of Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach
IMG_0429 Derek at Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach Summit(1050m).jpg
DSCF4547 Me at Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach.jpg
, the weather was good but it was quite hot but with a breeze on the summits which helped to keep us cool. We had planned on returning to base camp going in reverse of our outward route but after some discussion with my Bud we decided to head down towards Dubh Loch
IMG_0498 Dubh Loch.jpg
, the waterfall
IMG_0468 Allt an Dubh-loch Waterfall.jpg
DSCF4560.jpg
is a hidden gem as it is not shown on any maps we have. We walked past the gullies of Creag an Dubh-loch and past the lock and then turned right, crossed
Allt an Dubh-loch burn and headed up over the rough ground of Little Craig and over on to the path again and back to base camp where we had a rest, food and packed our gear away and headed back to Glenmuick carpack and home. All in all a fantastic time out and another four Munros to our list. In some ways we had wished we had nip over and done Cac Carn Beag but we would not have went down past Dubh Loch which would have been a pitty.
413-420 Panorama.jpg
Scotshiker
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Lochnagar Four

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Great report scotshiker and fantastic pics, brought back memories of my trip to Braod Cairn in March this year when the weather was as good but the approach to 'sandy's seat' was a lot different
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby goth_angel » Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 pm

It was a great day to be out on those hills wasn't it? We did the whole round of 5 and I have a feeling we might have bumped into you on the top of Carn a' Choire Boidheach.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Great report; great photos too; this wee round is on my list for this year... Looking forward to it all the more now... 8)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland