walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Falls of Glomach

Falls of Glomach

Postby Frogwell » Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Route description: Falls of Glomach via Glen Elchaig

Date walked: 28/04/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a late start walk as I was really just spending the evening in the North ready for an early start on the Brothers Ridge the following morning. It was about 14:30 when I set off from the little car park at Camas-luinie with overcast skies and very little wind. The first 4.5 miles of the walk are a fairly straightforward and uneventful amble through a small wood and level farm track. Pleasant Glen though, despite the bizarly high humidity I quite enjoyed myself. The next mile and a half though was less easy going - a mix of very steep paths, and slippery scrambling. An impressive little Glen though with some spectacular views on the final approach to the falls.

The falls do indeed deserve the title of the most magnificent in Britain. So tall that I couldn't get them in the whole frame of the camera. I tried taking several pictures and stitching them together, which technically worked, but it really just doesn't even begin to show the falls in their full glory so I'm not going to post that picture.

Definitely a worthwhile amble for anyone looking to waste an afternoon without too much difficulty. I gather the south approach from Strath Croe is easier going, so anyone wishing to avoid the scrambling on the North route should probably choose that one instead.

Loch na Leithreach and Strath Duilleach

Above the Falls of Glomach - for scale you should just be able to see a man standing on the rocks just below the centre of the picture

The top half of the Falls of Glomach
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Falls of Glomach

Postby skuk007 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Excellent pics frogwell. Really clear and very atmospheric. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Salahuddin » Sat May 07, 2011 11:25 am

Nice Pics! Lovely part of the world.

How hard was the last scramble? because from the top it looked a bit hairy.

Did this a few years back, only i travelled from the south west (Morvich-Woodland-Bealach na Sroine) i will try and find my pics and post a report of it, only my pics are not as well taken as yours :( .

Very interesting to see the falls from your angle 8)
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Postby Frogwell » Sat May 07, 2011 6:34 pm

The scramble isn't actually that bad. Maybe a couple of places you'd want to tread carefully in wet weather, but there's certainly nothing that would present any great challenge to your average hill walking type of person.

As you approach the falls it does build expectation as you can start to see more and more as you climb.

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland