walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillin Walk

Cuillin Walk

Postby seadog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 27/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first visit to Skye, my wife and I went to Glen Brittle camp site with our touring caravan my main reason for going was to tick the In Pin this all happened the first two weeks in July, and it wasnt until Sat. 11th. that I headed into Coire Lagan on my own not knowing the best way onto Sgurr Dearg I went up the scree at the at the end of the Coire and ended on the Sgurr Mhic Choinnich just under An Stack so had my tea and made my way to the summit which took me quite a while, Iam 75 after all anyway by the time I got back to An Stack had my tea again and I then had to decide wheather to go back down the scree to Coire Lagan or Sgurr Dearg and the In Pin opted for the Pin got there hoping to get help up the In Pin but alas I was too late the last people were just absailing off.So I came off the ridge above Coire na Banachdich and back to the camp site by the way if you were near there that day then you will will know that it was sunny all day.Well that was my first attempt the next came on the Wed. headed off this time into Coire na Banachdich right into the end and up onto Sgurr Dearg,very easy by the way, when I arrived there were 5 guys getting ready to climb the In Pin I asked if they would help me and they said that as only 3 of them were going up they had a spare harness and helmet so we were off unfortunately the top was in cloud still you cant have everything we got safely up and down and then discussed which route to take to get down and as I had come up from Coire Lagan before then decided to go that way tha leader of this group Scott was his name loved scree running so it was a mad run down to Coire Lagan and out to the camp site,another great day and I would like to again thank the guys Scott, Will, and Tom the climbers and Mark, and his brother David I certainly couldnt have done it without them. I am now going to try and add some photos not very good ones but still its the best I have. Seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Re: Cuillin Walk

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I must say I'm slightly incredulous at your report - don't know whether to admire your tenacity or shake my head in wonder at your spontaneity on what is a potentially very tricky ridge. :shock:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:24 am

And me... you sound to have had one hell of a day for a 75 year old! I doubt I'd have been able to keep up with you! And how 'easy' do you mean from Coire Banachdich to Sgurr Dearg? Not too strenuous or not technical or exposed? I ask with great interest as I could do with all the easy (as in least scary) routes I can find on the Cuillin for when I have to try to do the Munros there!
mountain coward

Postby seadog » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm

I thought getting to Sgurr Dearg by Coire na Banachdich was quite easy and certainly not scary after a bit a of a scramble at the end of the Coire you arrive at the bottom of the absail point of the In-Pin no problem, certaily a lot easier than via Coire Lagan which you will see that I did as well, now Sgurr Mhic Choinnich that was a wee bit different but still enjoyed it very much, but the weather was right so that was the main thing. Seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks Seadog - I shall need to corroborate your words of wisdom and get my bahookie up there!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby ianaird » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey seadog, i think we met you on the Saturday morning. We got an early start on the Saturday morning to beat the crowds to do the In Pin(left the car at 5am), you were asking about going up with us, but unfortuately we had completed it.
We had just come off sgurr mhic choinnich and had settled to have a cup of tea at the base of An stac and noticed someone starting to climb it(much to our alarm as we noticed the chap was wearing a hat and no ropes)
We were a group of 6 and from Skye.
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby seadog » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi ianaird, I remember seeing you guys you were all having a break in the wee rock circle dont know if it was you with the boots off who was explaining how to get to the in-pin but at that stage I decided to go for Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and then to hell went up Sgurr Dearg but by that time there was no one to take me up, but you will have read that I came back on the Wed. met 5 great guys who helped me to tick the Pin. they made an old man very happy.
Regards Seadog.
seadog
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Sorry about being so long replying but I was on holiday for 2 and a half weeks in the Lakes and got behind reading all the posts! Thanks for the advice about going up from Coire Banachdich instead of Coire Lagan - I'll certainly investigate that when I finally decide I have to tackle Skye (a long time from now I think).
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland