walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monadh Liath 3 plus a G

Monadh Liath 3 plus a G

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Liath

Date walked: 04/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed up the track from the parking area in Glen Banchor. The track ended at a turning point, where it then became a path which was quite boggy and at times faint, though once it started to climb it was fine. Followed this path to A' Chailleach summit and then a faint path over to Carn Sgulain. From CS there are fence posts along a long flatish plateau going over 4 tops to Carn Ban, where they are left to climb the best Munro of the 3, Carn Dearg. The fence is a good navigation aid, though i had good weather so i could cut corners along the way.I got some good views along the plateau and could see hills which i think were the Cuillins or Glen Shiel hills. After coming off CD i decided to take in the Graham Carn Liath, which turned out not only to be the steepest climb of the day but also the steepest descent. The walk in general was easy going, but not very exciting. It would be a good test in bad weather to test your navigation skills or a winter walk with lots of snow, read Dooterbangs report which was in winter conditions, one of the best i've read.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

April pics 076.JPG
A' Chailleach

April pics 077.JPG
AC summit

April pics 078.JPG
Carn Sgulain from AC

April pics 079.JPG
Carn Dearg from AC

April pics 080.JPG
CS summit

April pics 083.JPG
The fence

April pics 085.JPG
The Cuillins? Glen Shiel?

April pics 088.JPG
CD

April pics 089.JPG
CD summit

April pics 090.JPG
Towards Loch Laggan

April pics 092.JPG
CD

April pics 093.JPG
Creag Liath

April pics 094.JPG
Creag na h-Lolare

April pics 097.JPG
CL summit

April pics 099.JPG
CL on way out
Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Monadh Liath 3 plus a G

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote: hills. After coming off CD i decided to take in the Graham Carn Liath, which turned out not only to be the steepest climb of the day but also the steepest descent. The walk in general was easy going, but not very exciting.
It often seems to be the case that the munros can be easier/less interesting than some corbetts/grahams :? and you can get better views from the latter. Nice to vary it from the standard routes :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Monadh Liath 3 plus a G

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat May 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks Rockhopper, you're right. A lot of the Grahams/Corbetts are more challenging than some Munros, hence the reason i like to add them in along with Munros when possible.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland