walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell 3 .

Cairnwell 3 .

Postby pigeon » Sun May 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 08/05/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was desperate to get out today even though the forecast was not good,so plumped for the cairnwell hills as this looked a safe bet for a day like this ,not much ascent and easy bail out if it got really windy.Set off for Carn Aosda first at just after 8 and it was chucking it down
085.JPG
View back to car park
Got to the top in about 25 minutes,surely the easiest munro by far
088.JPG
Grim on carn aosda
The conditions now were as bad as i have been in ,strong winds and the rain was stinging my face(never packed balaclava)and i was starting to wonder if it was wise to carry on to carn a gheoidh.Decided to carry on and must admit that without the gps would probably still be wandering about up there could see no more than twenty yards in front of me all the way
090.JPG
Carn a gheoidh
093.JPG
view from carn a gheoidh
Got there though and this is probably a good walk in good conditions,didn't hang about to long and headed back the same way and then onto the cairnwell.Top of the cairnwell was wierd,never seen the radiomasts and other buildings till i was right on top of them ,took some pics and headed back to the car
094.JPG
cairnwell cairn well
095.JPG
096.JPG
097.JPG
Again never hung about here long and headed back to the car park
100.JPG
Break in the clouds on way down
Got back to the car after about 3 hours 10 minutes and by this point the rain could not have come down any harder,seen one hardy soul heading off for the hill as i drove out but apart from that never seen anyone all day ,off course by the time i got to blairgowrie the sun was splitting the trees :(Still glad i got out and at least my waterproofs never let me down :thumbup:
Last edited by pigeon on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Cairwell 3 .

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Great pity about the weather 'cos there are some nice views but at least you got out. :D The Cairnwell gets my vote as the ugliest summit I've seen so far. 8) Looks like you'll be planning your 50th soon.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Sun May 08, 2011 6:20 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great pity about the weather 'cos there are some nice views but at least you got out. :D The Cairnwell gets my vote as the ugliest summit I've seen so far. 8) Looks like you'll be planning your 50th soon.
Cheers rockhopper got an stuc and its mates planned for next weekend and after that might suggest to my walking buddies beinn a ghlo which would nab me the 50 :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Huck Finn » Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Great report, 50 already, you are not half knocking them off, this sailing season is going to leave me well behind you, as well as my fitness levels will plummet big time :(
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Vick1 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Shame about the weather and I was up there early April and had a different type of weather ( Wind ) and decided against the furthest away Munro as I was getting blown off my feet coming off Carn Aosda. Sorry to say its a crackin view from up there and worth the mini effort again on a clear day
Attachments
Copy of DSCF1077.JPG
Copy of DSCF1069.JPG
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Great effort on a crappy day pigeon, looks like the weather gods owe you one :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pigeon » Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Huck Finn wrote:Great report, 50 already, you are not half knocking them off, this sailing season is going to leave me well behind you, as well as my fitness levels will plummet big time :(
Never mind Huck .Are there any munro's in Cuba?
Vick1 wrote:Shame about the weather and I was up there early April and had a different type of weather ( Wind ) and decided against the furthest away Munro as I was getting blown off my feet coming off Carn Aosda. Sorry to say its a crackin view from up there and worth the mini effort again on a clear day
Good pics Vick would make a good wee winter walk i think
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Huck Finn » Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 am

If there are hills in Cuba, I'm sure we will find them :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland