walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathfarrar 4

Strathfarrar 4

Postby csimbad » Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 07/05/2011

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 23.2 km

Ascent: 1961m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been looking to climb these for a while now so couldn't wait to get up there so I headed off at 5.30am thinking the journey would take a little longer instead I was earlier so had around an hour and a half to wait until the gait was opened so set the alarm and had a wee nap. Around 8.30am 4 other cars had arrived and before long everyone speeded to the gate at 9am to get handed there ticket and head on off up the Glen Strathfarrar. Around 15 miles from the gate to where I had parked but I had also driven onwards up to the Hydro dam for a look before starting. When on arriving back a the car park a couple of other cars had already arrived and on there way so I parked up and headed off. The cloud was hanging about a bit on my approach to the Sgurr na Ruaidhe with a few light showers but nothing to bad. Once across the stream I made my way on up the faint path getting a glimpse of walkers in front of me nearing the summit, the path wasn't to bad either as I had read that it can be a bit boggy at times. On reaching the summit I could see 3 of the walkers sitting in the stone shelter having a bite to eat so I took a few pics and headed off to the 2nd munro of the day. Wasn,t long before I had reached the boulder section before the summit of Carn nan Gobhar, they were slippery as hell but took my time as falling in that I imagine could seriously hurt. Once on the summit I took a few pics and retraced my steps to get off the rocks onto the grassy ridge for the 3rd munro, the slippery rocks were becoming a bit of a pain but incurred no injury's thankfully. The weather had improved and was now quite warm so I decided to stop and have a bite to eat and then head on up Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais, I met with a walker who had came from the other direction so on chatting with him he had dropped his bicycle at the other end to make light work of the road section so he said if I was back in time he would be able to give me a lift back to my car so I didn,t hang about and headed on up to the summit on where I came apon another slippery boulder section to reach the trig point of Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais taking in the great views around. It was then onto the 4th and final munro of the day on where I was nearing the other 2 walkers who had headed off before me, I could see them on the summit on my approach on where I met with another 2 walkers coming round the oppisite way who had walked the road section first. I was then on the summit of Sgurr Fhuar-Thuill looking back at where I had came from where the view was fantastic, so after a few pics I headed on down onto the stalkers path to look down on Loch Toll a' Mhuid and slabby face of Sgurr na Muice on where I came apon someones equipment they accidently dropped so I could again see the 2 guys in front of me so I finally caught with one of them as the other had sped off ahead to get the car and luckily enough it was his equipment so that was good so he had also kindly offered me a lift back to the car. The walk down was nice with the stream and waterfall before finally reaching the Strathfarrar road once again and had timed it to perfection as cycling up the road was the first guy I had met so we headed off back to the car park on where we picked up the walker who had sped off to get his car and come back and pick up his dad. We were both glad of the lift back as it was quite a distance and end to a brilliant day. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP0806.JPG
Starting point
IMGP0810.JPG
Approaching Sgurr na Ruaidhe summit
IMGP0811.JPG
IMGP0817.JPG
Sgurr na Ruaidhe summit
IMGP0819.JPG
IMGP0824.JPG
As close as I could get before they scarpered
IMGP0827.JPG
Approach to Carn nan Gobhar
IMGP0831.JPG
Carn nan Gobhar summit
IMGP0832.JPG
Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais in the distance
IMGP0834.JPG
Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais and Sgurr Fhuar-thuill beyond
IMGP0837.JPG
IMGP0841.JPG
Path leading upto Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais
IMGP0845.JPG
Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais summit
IMGP0846.JPG
Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais summit
IMGP0849.JPG
Final one of the day Sgurr Fhuar-thuill
IMGP0851.JPG
IMGP0855.JPG
IMGP0859.JPG
IMGP0861.JPG
IMGP0867.JPG
Sgurr Fhuar-thuill summit
IMGP0868.JPG
The way down on the stalkers path
IMGP0872.JPG
Looking back over where I had came from
IMGP0883.JPG
IMGP0885.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Strathfarrar 4

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice report and looks like you had a great day out making the most of the weather. I see you're still getting round them at a fair old rate. :thumbup:

Have to confess that I had to look up the map to find where these hills are situated. Certainly great that you met up with the other guys and got a lift back. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby csimbad » Sun May 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks Rockhopper, the weather turned out pretty good its a lovely place up there in them conditions. I never look at the time when I'm out walking for some reason not until I get back to the car, but I pushed on when offered a lift as I didn't fancy another road section. Should have took the bike and dropped off where I came out, glad I got a lift. :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby ianaird » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Nice report csimbad, i was the other lucky one to get a lift from the man in the van back to the cars.
Saved a good hour i would guess. :thumbup:
Turned out a good day considering the weather on top of the first one.

Cheers Ian
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Great report and some cracking pics csimbad, looks like my kind of walk :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby csimbad » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks ianaird, I it certainly did help make a good end to the day catching a lift back, the weather I was expecting thunder and lighting from what I had heard but thankfully turned out good for us in the end. :D Nice to have met you Ian and your dad. :thumbup:
Cheers csimbad
ianaird wrote:Nice report csimbad, i was the other lucky one to get a lift from the man in the van back to the cars.
Saved a good hour i would guess. :thumbup:
Turned out a good day considering the weather on top of the first one.
Cheers Ian
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks ChrisW, cracking place you will enjoy :thumbup:
Cheers csimbad
ChrisW wrote:Great report and some cracking pics csimbad, looks like my kind of walk :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland