walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe, Glen Lyon

Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe, Glen Lyon

Postby Frogwell » Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 am

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 02/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The afternoon of Sunday 1st of May saw me doodling about Glen Lyon on my motorbike looking to take some pictures of the Scots Pine at the West end of the Glen. I quick doodle up to Loch an Daimh reservoir and I was reading the Meggernie Estate information board about the two Munros they'd erected at the end of the Glen. Being fairly close to home I put them on my mental list to do at some point in the future when I was at a loose end (read: avoiding work).

By happy chance the following day was a Bank Holiday, which I'd totally forgotten about, and I found myself at one of those loose ends. A few bits and pieces were thrown in the day pack, camera battery charged and I was parked up beside that information board just before 10:00. Oddly, the Tarmachan ridge car park which is normally jam packed at any time of day if there's even the faintest whiff of sunshine was totally empty as I drove past, whereas there were already a dozen cars under the Dam at Loch an Daimh by the time I got there.

The sun was loitering about doing it's thing and I decided to do Stuchd an Lochain first as I figured it having a very steep ascent would be best to get out of the way before the afternoon heat. A pretty straightforward hill, starts with three quarters of a mile steep climb right up the hill side, followed by a mile along a wide ridge circling a corrie below. The return is the same route, just with more swearing due to the increased strain on the knackered knee.

I was back at the car just after 13:00, had a quick sandwich and a couple of Mr Kipling's finest French Fancies and I set off Meall Buidhe. A non demanding mile and a half got me to the top of another wide ridge and another mile took me to the summit. Return by much the same route

An enjoyable days amble with some great views over Rannoch Moor and Glen Lyon, but all in all I don't think I'll put them on my to do again list. They're more walks you might do to pass an evening after dinner if you happened to live very close by, or hills to tick if you're a bagger. Very pleasant and all that, I'm glad I did them, just not hugely memorable.

A few snaps from along the way.

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe, Glen Lyon

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

terrific pics again; I love that 1st shot!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby joenorris » Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 am

Fantastic photos - the weather up there looks great at the moment, gutted I'm trapped in the South of England!

One route I have heard suggested is to connect the two summits via the Western end of Lochan Daimh, as opposed to returning to the car. Obviously this route would be a bit longer but it might make the walk a bit more interesting and remote :D
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Postby monty » Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Superb depth to the photos. :D
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 12, 2011 3:56 pm

joenorris wrote:Fantastic photos - the weather up there looks great at the moment, gutted I'm trapped in the South of England!

One route I have heard suggested is to connect the two summits via the Western end of Lochan Daimh, as opposed to returning to the car. Obviously this route would be a bit longer but it might make the walk a bit more interesting and remote :D

By taking in this route, you could have ticked off a Corbett as well, though descending it wouldn't have done your knees any good
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Top quality shots there Frogwell. And I don't think I've seen a Mr Kipling French Fancy for years and years 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby chickadee » Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Beautiful photos.I really need to learn how to take ones like those.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 pm

great shots frogwell even if the hills were not so great :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Paul Webster wrote:And I don't think I've seen a Mr Kipling French Fancy for years and years

Hope this helps Paul
05000221001119.png
french fancy
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 am

I really love the panoramic shot, brilliant photos all round though :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Frogwell » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks for all the comments :)

Paul Webster wrote:Top quality shots there Frogwell. And I don't think I've seen a Mr Kipling French Fancy for years and years 8)

Probably not missing much, the only reason I bought them was because the Co-op in Killin had them reduced to 30p as I passed through.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland