walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My First Munro

My First Munro

Postby jackmw » Sat May 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 02/08/2010

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_1559.JPG

My First Munro was not intend, my Granda and I went for a day out by Loch lomond. We arrived at Rowardennan and Granda asked if I fancied a wee walk up the "hill". We set off in fine warm weather and steadily climbed up the path crossing the Trolls Bridge which had worried my Mam and her Sister years before when Granda had taken them up the same path when they were both 6 years old. Before long Granda told me we were more than half way up the hill and asked if I wanted to go to the top of this Mountain or go back down. A MOUNTAIN - at 5.5 years old I had never been up a Mountain before. I had a chat with Granda, I felt fine and it was a nice day, we were nearer to the top than the bottom so I said we could walk the rest of the way to the top of Ben Lomond. Although I was wearing "Crocks" my feet were fine and I did not feel tired. We moved on and after a few stops (for Granda) and a lunch of sandwiches, mars bar and coke we reached the top. On the way up it was nice and warm but on the top it was cold but my fleece was nice and warm.
IMG_1557.JPG

Im glad I walked to the top of Ben Lomond, as a reward for what Granda said was an enthusiastic day out, I was given a great pair of Walking Boots, a great Rucksack and a great Knickerbocker Glory at Dinos in Helensburgh.
We are now thinking of Sponsored Walk up Ben Nevis
IMG_1568.JPG
jackmw
Stravaiging

Munros:2   

Re: My First Munro

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Congratulations jack on your first munro - well done :clap: :clap:

though must admit I've never climbed a hill in crocs....glad to see you've now got a pair of boots :thumbup:

Look forward to hearing how you get on now that you're started hill walking :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jools » Sat May 14, 2011 7:56 pm

well done Jack on climbing your 1st Monro :D

that knickerbocker glory looks like your second mountain in 1 day :lol: :lol:
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby blanchie » Sun May 15, 2011 9:43 am

Thats a Cracker, Jack!! Well done.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Ian Johnston » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 am

Fantastic Jack - well done!

Now you need to take Granda up some more hills to try out the new boots and rucksack :D

Make sure you get a mountain-sized ice cream for every one you do; it takes lots of energy to climb hills so you need to feed up! :D

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby Del246 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Well done. Great effort.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Biffo69 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 pm

What a great day out Jack! Hope you and Granda do loads more mountains now that you have the 'professional' gear. Good luck with Ben Nevis, it's a toughie but always easier when you're doing it for charity :D And keep conquering those knickerbockerglories too!
Biffo69
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:4
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland