walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glen Shiel Ridge

South Glen Shiel Ridge

by jester » Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 04/05/2011

Time taken: 13.5 hours

Distance: 35 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby Border Reiver » Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm

I see you followed the old road to the top of the pass and took the stalkers path up the east ridge, it seems to be the quickest way. I took a direct route from the bridge to the top of Creag a Mhaim yet two guys that were behind me on the road arrived at Creag a Mhaim summit before me using that longer route. My route up was pathless and greasy for much of the way.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby jester » Sun May 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Border Reiver wrote:I see you followed the old road to the top of the pass and took the stalkers path up the east ridge, it seems to be the quickest way. I took a direct route from the bridge to the top of Creag a Mhaim yet two guys that were behind me on the road arrived at Creag a Mhaim summit before me using that longer route. My route up was pathless and greasy for much of the way.

I beleive that;s what my mate Jim did on his first trip there, and he fould it to be hard going. The path is twisty, but much more straightforward.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Totally jealous - I had hours of rain and not a bloody soul offered me a lift on the way back. Plus, I fell on my arse and staved my finger. I'm glad to see someone had a good day on it. :mrgreen:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Craiging619 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Great report, looks like an epic. If only there was a bus stop or something at the bottom!
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby Border Reiver » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Craiging619 wrote:Great report, looks like an epic. If only there was a bus stop or something at the bottom!

Best way is to leave your car at the West end. I left mine in the layby for The Saddle and held up a big card saying "Cluanie Inn" & got a lift within 5 mins - card went back in the boot of the car. Walkers are more likely to get a lift when they are clean and not smelly.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland