walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee Three - Expectations Exceeded

Glenshee Three - Expectations Exceeded

Postby atseacliff » Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 17/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stressed out at work and having got to the middle of May without augmenting to my Munro list I decided that I needed to get out come hell or high water. I'd planned to head West but the weather forecast suggested further East offered the best chance of keeping the waterproofs in the rucksack. Selected the Cairnwell et al because (a) it sounded straight forward, (b) would give me an opportunity to test out fitness levels or lack of it and (c) I must admit I was keen to get over 10 percent of Munros climbed on my Munro Map.

Weather on arrival at Glenshee looked like it could go either way but as it turned out I was extremely fortunate to enjoy good weather throughout the walk. After toilet stop, coffee and tray bake at Ski Center (how civilised!) headed up the The Cairnwell. I suspect that the correct path was further south as the one I selected soon petered out and I ended up doing an ungracious zig zag to the bealich. Interesting (for me anyway) discovery - I'm training for a half marathon at present and thought I was in reasonable shape however climbing stretches totally different muscle groups! Anyway The Cairnwell summit is as grim as others have documented however the views from the top were excellent today. You will have to trust me on this because I forgot to take any photos at this point.

Then headed off along the broad erroded bealich towards Carn Aosda and then West towards Carn a Gheoidh. I quickly got away from the Glenshee ski mess and enjoyed a peaceful and isolated high level stroll with just a small incline to the summit. Lunched at the summit of Carn a Gheoidh. Asside - If any one lost a red sock there recently I can assure them its still there on the end of a stick! On my return a lone fly fisherman could be seen at the far end of Loch Vrotachan.

Returning to the Cairnwell/Carn Aosda summit I headed up the path to Carn Aosda. At this point I remembered that I had promised myself I would write my first Walk Highland report and whipped my camera from the bag.
IMG_1191.JPG
The Cairnwell from path to Carn Aosda
IMG_1190.JPG
Carn a Gheoidh from path to Carn Aosda
Carn Aosda is every bit a mess as I had been led to believe but that didn't seem to matter today. The sun was shining, I wasn't hunched over a keyboard writing a report and instead was being treated to wonderful views up the Old Military Road and on to the Cairngorms.
IMG_1198.JPG
North From Summit of Aosda
After taking all this in I rather stupidly tried the direct route down to the car park - not recommended. Eventually did the sensible thing and picked a less steep option making life easier for myself into the bargin.

Apart from the fisherman didn't see anyone on the walk which was an added bonus - just the odd mountain hare and small bird. An excellent day out.
Last edited by atseacliff on Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atseacliff

Munros:33   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Glenshee Three - Expectations Exceeded

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed May 18, 2011 3:34 pm

You picked the right side of the country given the weather of the last few days!

It's good to hear you had a good day; folk seem to do this walk on a poor day, for reasons which I can understand given the ski debris. I've climbed this group several times and have had two amazing days; the first time was a winter day when the evening sky was bright green - the only time I've seen quite that colour, and on another day in Spring when out with my son-in-law and a small pool to the west of the Cairnwell summit was absolutely writhing with frogs.

I'm guessing that you didn't continue from Carn a'Gheoidh to Carn Bhinnein as there's no photos; it's a great viewpoint!

Kind Regards

Ian

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.com/
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby atseacliff » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 pm

You are right - I didn't continue on to Carn Bhinnein which was remiss of me given the weather - next time I guess.
atseacliff

Munros:33   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Good stuff atseacliff - always nice to get out and take a risk on the weather and have it pay off...excellent :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

atseacliff wrote:You are right - I didn't continue on to Carn Bhinnein which was remiss of me given the weather - next time I guess.

That's just it! There's always a reason to go back to a hill! :D

Kind Regards

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.com/
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland