walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tirran via Loch Brandy

Ben Tirran via Loch Brandy

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 18/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15.1 km

Ascent: 810m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MWIS suggest a low probability of could free munros today so it's another Corbett for me, and an excuse to go back to Glen Clova; even if the road down there is a narrow twisting nightmare of slowness for about 1000miles (or so it seems) :lol:

My walk commenced from the car park just over the bridge from the hotel as suggested by WH

it is then a short walk back over the same bridge to the hotel car park where I keep left and take the track past the white buildings with a blue roof

then ahead follow the sign which says 'public footpath to Glenesk'

once past the holiday cabins (which were very busy today) I cross a little bridge and get my first glimpse of the walk ahead

I am soon on the well trodden path heading upwards, it's not steep but you know you are doing it...Image

the path is busy with a number of walkers heading in all directions and dugs a-plenty (how I wish I had their energy) Image

I am soon up high enough to look back at the lush green glen below Image

the ascent then reaches a welcome plateau, after the constant uphill from the start it's nice to have a level breather

I arrive at the south west corner of Loch Brandy and see a few people wandering around, I consider heading up 'the snub' but remember the WH suggestion that the 'broom shank' route provides better views.....well that and the fact that 'the snub' looks steep as hell :lol: Image

I elect to take the gentle route across the southern end of the loch and up 'broom shank', the well constructed path continues that way, and a fellow walker provides perspective for my shot Image

looking across the loch with 'the snub' on the left hand side of the shot

and forward to the 'broom shank' which looks a much more relaxed ascentImage

the small ford at the south east corner of loch brandy presents no problem today Image

as I ascend the 'broom shank' it quickly becomes apparent that it has some very steep sections and I take the opportunity to stop and chat with a very nice couple heading down whilst I regain my breath, when we say our goodbyes they provide excellent perspective for my next shot (left hand side of shot)

from a point close to the top of the ascent it is possible to look into the water of loch brandy and see the curved shape of the causeway at the south end (left of shot) below the water

at the top of the ascent on 'green hill' is a cairn marking the spot to turn east (right) and head toward the target for the day. The clear air allows fantastic long views across the distant tops

as is always my way, I wander off the path toward the craigs of loch wharral in the hope of getting a better view as the path seems to skirt too far north of the loch for my liking Image

the going is easy though there are a number of significant peat bogs which would present much more of an issue had it not been so dry for so long, the speck to the left of shot is another lone walker heading down from 'The Goet'

I continued on to the rim in order to grab a photo of loch wharral looking down the glen

I then had to ascend a little to go around white burn and head off up toward 'The Goet'Image

on arrival at the summit I tuck myself in for a nice 10 minute break, tea and snacks

I use the trig point as a tripod to grab the 'evidence' shot with mount keen in the background mostly hidden by the huge style over the electric fence that crosses the hill

from the top of the style a zoomed shot shows the long scar of the summit path leading to mount keen

I then head down toward the unassuming cairn on the summit of Ben Tirran enjoying the clear views in every direction

I wander down the west side of Ben Tirran looking to pick up the path marked on the OS map and have a last look over to loch wharral Image

I quickly pick up the narrow pathway and and head down to the cairn marking the spot for those wishing to branch off to the loch on ascent. The view down the glen as the dappled light hits the lush green grass is worth the walk on its own.

I somehow miss the footbridge shown on the map to the north of the Adielinn plantation (if it exists) but spot a narrow path almost hidden in the heather just before reaching the trees, this leads to an easy crossing of the burn of loch wharral

once across there is something of a pathway (albeit very faint) leading down to the road which in turn leads back to Clova

as I neared the end of the path I saw a car parked by the gate and a walker arrive at it and begin the boots off process, when I arrive at the gate the man 'Peter' has waited to see if I am heading to Clova and offered me a lift, what a damn fine bloke, I hate walking on tarmac

The journey to the car park was quick and interesting as 'Peter' told me a bit about himself (almost 80 years old)and his plans to do Morven later in the week. He didn't even let me buy him a drink as he dropped me off and continued down toward Glendoll.

Another great day in the hills, those who read my reports will know it's not a bout the size or difficulty of a hill, for me it is about wandering and today was a damn fine wander :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by ChrisW on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Ben Tirran via Loch Brandy

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another great day in the hills, those who read my reports will know it's not a bout the size or difficulty of a hill, for me it is about wandering and today was a damn fine wander

Nothing wrong with all your wanderings Chris as I always love reading your reports and looking at the cracking pictures you always seam to take,and this wander is no different :thumbup:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby andyroog » Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

What a excellent report looks a cracking location and great phots well done :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Another great day in the hills, those who read my reports will know it's not a bout the size or difficulty of a hill, for me it is about wandering and today was a damn fine wander

Nothing wrong with all your wanderings Chris as I always love reading your reports and looking at the cracking pictures you always seam to take,and this wander is no different :thumbup:

Cheers Gammy- I get good pics because I pick my weather.....if it's raining like hell and claggy I'll stay home and do some work :lol:

by andyroog on Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

What a excellent report looks a cracking location and great phots well done

Thanks Andy, it's a great spot and a nice short wander (particularly if you get a lift for the road stretch) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 pm

d'you ever have any time for work given the number of days you're out walking ? :lol: :lol:

Looks a nice wander and great photos as usual chris :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 pm

rockhopper wrote:d'you ever have any time for work given the number of days you're out walking ? :lol: :lol:

Looks a nice wander and great photos as usual chris :D

Thanks rockhopper - I'm in the fortunate position of being able to choose when to work, so when the sun is out I usually choose not to :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 am

Another fantastic report and such beautiful clear photographs- again!!!

Fabbie XX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby andrewdoggett » Thu May 19, 2011 1:05 am

This looks like a gorgeous little walk - stunning corries - and fantastic pics!!

I'm officially homesick! :?
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby monty » Thu May 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Love the panorama pictures Chris, looks like an excellent walk. Nice :D
monty

Postby kinley » Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Lovely - one of the ever-diminishing hills in the east I get to visit for the first time still. :lol:

That Clova road is a cracker - been out Arkaig yet? It's the grandaddy of them all 8)

Great pics - looks a decent day.

CW wrote:MWIS suggest a low probability of could free munros today so it's another Corbett for me

Aye - it's a great lesson - the hills under 3000ft can offer much better quality days a lot of the year. (or all of the year) :lol:
kinley

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Another great report there Chris with the lovely photos again. I was up Tirran on Sunday and that summit cairn is a great wind shield.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 19, 2011 10:58 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Another fantastic report and such beautiful clear photographs- again!!!
Fabbie XX

thanks Polly - I'm lucky with the old camera .......touch wood :wink:
by andrewdoggett on Thu May 19, 2011 1:05 am
This looks like a gorgeous little walk - stunning corries - and fantastic pics!!
I'm officially homesick!

cheers Andrew - homesick already....yikes, You've still got a way to go yet :(

by monty on Thu May 19, 2011 5:48 pm
Love the panorama pictures Chris, looks like an excellent walk. Nice

thanks Monty - its a little cracker this one :D

by kinley on Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm
Lovely - one of the ever-diminishing hills in the east I get to visit for the first time still.
That Clova road is a cracker - been out Arkaig yet? It's the grandaddy of them all
Great pics - looks a decent day.
CW wrote:
MWIS suggest a low probability of could free munros today so it's another Corbett for me
Aye - it's a great lesson - the hills under 3000ft can offer much better quality days a lot of the year. (or all of the year)

cheers kinley - worth a visit this one, I've not been out Arkaig yet but I assume its an even worse road than Clova :wtf:, I'll keep it low on my list :lol:

by Johnny Corbett on Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm
Another great report there Chris with the lovely photos again. I was up Tirran on Sunday and that summit cairn is a great wind shield.

thanks JC - you're damn right, and I had it all to myself :D love mid week walking :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby canisp » Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 pm

A cracking set of photos Chris :D. I’ve been eyeing up this Corbett for some time, i hope i get a day like yours.

steve......
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 pm

canisp wrote:A cracking set of photos Chris :D. I’ve been eyeing up this Corbett for some time, i hope i get a day like yours.

steve......

thanks steve - I'm very lucky that I can choose my days (and so, to some extent, the weather) hope you have a great day when you do get up there :D
ChrisW
Rambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland