walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 2 A day

My 2 A day

Postby andyroog » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 19/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a early wake up and a hour and a half drive i reached the start point of this walk mwis forecast was smack on so it was a change no rain, sunnny day, bit chilly could not have been better the start point was the cairn up from the visitor centre
Walk start.JPG
just past the dam and Lochan Na lairige
Lochan Nan Larige 3.JPG
it did not take long to reach the old fence line if you get on tjis the rest is a doddle
Fence Line upto Meal Corranaich.JPG
up to Meal Corranaich.JPG[/attachment]which is a perfect handrail to my first target Meall Corranaich
Meall Corranich Summit.JPG
the ground underfoot in other walkreports was handy to know because it was a bit boggy prior to reaching the fence line have been in worse though my local kings head springs to mind on a saturday night i continued along obvious path passing coire leith
Looking down to Coire Liath.JPG
the views across to the lawers ridge are excellent with a smattering of snow for good measure
Ben Lawers.JPG
for me this is a MUST clear sky walk to get some great views after doing the lawers ridge the week or so before see my five a day report getting a different view angle is great
Lawers range.JPG
west side of an stuc.JPG
Across to meall nan tarmachan.JPG
PICT0352.JPG
PICT0354.JPG
path to meall a choire leith
to my next target meall A Choire Leith
meall a choire leith summit.JPG
an easy walk down past some shielings to your left across some more boggy ground and back to the cairn saving Meall nan tarmachan ridge for another day completing 7 out of a planned 8 for me considering earlier weather conditions in the month was great hope good weather ahead for all few more pics
PICT0344.JPG
PICT0345.JPG
Fenceline path
PICT0351.JPG
PICT0352.JPG
PICT0354.JPG
path to meall a choire leith
PICT0355.JPG
PICT0358.JPG
PICT0355.JPG
PICT0356.JPG
Looking down to loch tay
waterfall return route to cairn.JPG
PICT0360.JPG
PICT0344.JPG
Last edited by andyroog on Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Re: My 2 A day

Postby pollyh33 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

Smashing report Andy. Really really helpful for eejits like me who are a bit unsure about the best route to take. I like phrases like 'obvious paths' and 'fence lines as handrails' - very reassuring :lol:

Cheers. x
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 am

Good stuff Andy and some great pics - the first shot of views across to the lawers ridge is a real cracker :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Jeeeso where did the snow come from on Lawers :o ? Done it and the rest of those hills just a few week's ago and all of them were snow free, Lawers was still icy cold though :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby andyroog » Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 am

Yeh it just shows how quick conditions can change i done the whole ridge 8 days before but it was freezing and huge hailsnow and slight snowflakes mwis had said snow above 950m throughout the week what surprised me was no snow on the two munros i was on guess because lawers is 10th highest it catched the smattering :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby monty » Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Some great photos there Andy. Snow in May is not uncommon I suppose but after the tropical conditions in April its a bit of a shock :lol:
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland