walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BRUACH NA FRITHE & AM BASTEIR (By default)

BRUACH NA FRITHE & AM BASTEIR (By default)

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 17/05/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Through the Walk Highlands web site I made contact with a guy, Geoff Watkins, who wanted to share the cost of guiding for the “Inaccessible Pinnacle”. Paid my fifty quid and waited.

Got the call around noon on the Monday to say the climb was on for the Tuesday starting 08:00hrs. Arrived at Glen Brittle hut and met Geoff. A few minutes later the guide turned up to say the climb was off but come back tomorrow! If I’d known this would happen I’d have stayed at home for an extra day but I’m so very glad it turned out this way. We climbed Bruach na Frithe and Am Basteir. As I had been expecting the In Pin I’d made no plans or preparations so trusted to Geoff. It turned out fine, getting to the first summit in less than two and a half hours. We were lucky, for although there was cloud all around it seemed to come and go to please us. For the most part we had not bad views east although not such good views of the rest of the ridge. Still, thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Thoroughly enjoyed the mountain and vowed to come back again on a clearer day.

Here are a few photos.....

SKYE_MAY11 013.JPG
Am Basteir's Tooth

SKYE_MAY11 016.JPG
Sligachan and Portree both in this pic

SKYE_MAY11 020.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 028.JPG
Lunch near the summit of Am Basteir

SKYE_MAY11 033.JPG
On the summit of Am Basteir

SKYE_MAY11 037.JPG
Climbing up to descend Am Basteir
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: BRUACH NA FRITHE & AM BASTEIR (By default)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Nice action shot at the end and congrats on making the most of the day :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: BRUACH NA FRITHE & AM BASTEIR (By default)

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Great pics - better weather than you had on Inn Pinn :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland