walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Inaccessible Pinnacle - despite the weather.

The Inaccessible Pinnacle - despite the weather.

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Fri May 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 18/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The night before, Tuesday, the MWIS forecast for the Wednesday used words like “Considerably buffeting”, “Movement tortuous”, “Lightning” “Blizzards” & winds up to 50mph! In the pub (Taigh Ailean Hotel, Portnalong) everyone told me the In Pin would be cancelled – and I believed them. I kept the rendezvous on Wednesday at 08:00hrs but Geoff had gone home by this time. I only turned up to be polite and fully expected to be sent away again. But no – it was all systems go, this time with new companions including the guide, Graeme Paterson of Sky-Hi (http://www.skyehi.co.uk/)
The weather was pretty much as forecast – crap! For the umpteenth time this year I could tell I was on what would be a phantasmagorical walk/ climb on a clear day. Great walking, great views (at least at lower levels) great scrambling. Graeme was good company on the way up and I could tell he was checking us all out. An excellent guide; we all arrived at the foot of the pinnacle feeling confident and ready to go. Goodness knows why people, in the right circumstances, go ahead and do something which scares them half to death! Something their fear should make them quit! I don’t know how I did it but I did. Very scary, very exciting, very enjoyable. For the most part we were too apprehensive before the climb and too elated after it to get any decent photos. By the time we got back to the cars we were caught in the worst downpour I have ever seen in my life!

There are loads of good pictures of the In Pin on “Google Images” My own are below.

SKYE_MAY11 041.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 042.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 044.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 047.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 051.JPG

SKYE_MAY11 055.JPG

An utterly fabulous day out – it’s now Friday and I still feel a bit elated! I fully intend to do it again on a clear day.

(I’d recommend Graeme and Sky-Hi and also the Skye-Walkers hostel in Portnalong.)
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: The Inaccessible Pinnacle - despite the weather.

Postby soulminer » Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Good to see someone else doing the Inn Pinn in less than perfect conditions. A hailstorm on the day Doogz and I did the dirty deed :lol: The same guide as well, Skye-Hi with the Magpie 8) He will know what that means :wink: :)
soulminer

Postby walk aboot » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Brilliant, well done E an D :D

Looks like the no-view weather might have been a bit of a blessing (not being able to look down :shock: :) ).

Read your other report too :thumbup:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Bod » Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Yes well done.....glad you had a great and exciting day to remember. We're heading up there in two weeks :shock: :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby pollyh33 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Smashing stuff! Love the ghostly images :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 am

Well done :thumbup: One advantage of the poor weather is that you can't see the drop so not as nerve racking :shock:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 am

Saw this on TV recently, that is an hell of an ascent in any weather - well done :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 am

Having watched the munro man TV programme recently and getting "sweaty palms" even just seeing the climb on TV it must've been a lot worse especially in those conditions - well done :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm

T'riffic effort in those conditions :D . Also, good planning not leaving this til your last munro :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby IainG » Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Not bad conditions to do the Inn Pin! Done it in similar conditions, although probably not as misty, and I was quite happy with that considering the huge drops on the north side of the 'blade'!
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Redrock » Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am

Congratulations! It must feel great to have conquered the In Pinn. :thumbup: We're going up there in a couple of weeks time to have a go and I can't decide whether I want it clear - with all that exposure - or nice and misty like your pics. :? But I would definitely prefer it dry and not too windy! :problem:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 am

Looks very similar to the day that we did the Inn Pin!
IMG_1995.JPG
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby sarahatk » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

I was also in your group, well the other 3 that went up first with the other guide. Am I in any of your hazy photos? We had four days of walking with Graham, he was great fun. Shame you didn't join us on the thursday, it was an equally interesting and exciting day!
sarahatk
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Great effort in that weather,not too much better when alan s,jb likes a beer & me did this last year
mixed%20014.jpg
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 pm

sarahatk wrote:I was also in your group, well the other 3 that went up first with the other guide. Am I in any of your hazy photos? We had four days of walking with Graham, he was great fun. Shame you didn't join us on the thursday, it was an equally interesting and exciting day!

Sorry - I'm afraid my batch of pics, although perhaps "atmospheric", were basically a bit poor! I've uploaded the best of what I got.

Graeme was great right enough - I'm hoping to go up again soon with him on a better day.

best wishes,

Alastair
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland