walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

LOCHNAGAR

LOCHNAGAR

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Thu May 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 13/05/2011

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s been a fairly busy time for me recently ending with the Corbett “Morrone” on Thursday evening, Lochnagar on Friday, Bruach na Frithe and Am Basteir on Tuesday and Sgurr Dearg and the “Inaccessible Pinnacle” on Wednesday. I’ll skip Morrone and go straight to Lochnagar……

I had been invited to Braemar for a long weekend and the activities were organised by someone else. The route chosen was a long walk in from Invercauld Bridge, skirting around the back of the Stuic and approaching Lochnagar summit from the south west. That part of the walk was a bit on the dull side I’m afraid but thank goodness for good company. However the wild life was good.....
BRAEMAR 003.JPG

BRAEMAR 002.JPG

However I really enjoyed the summit and the walk round the top of the cliffs looking down to the lochan.

BRAEMAR 016.JPG

BRAEMAR 023.JPG

Being a two car affair we descended via Clais Rathadan to the car park at Spittal of Glen Muick – much more pleasant.

BRAEMAR 032.JPG

BRAEMAR 044.JPG

I have heard that there’s a much more pleasant route starting with a walk along the shore of Loch Muick and an ascent by the waterfall above Glas allt Shiel. I’ll try that the next time.

Post about my Skye adventure will follow soon.
Last edited by EACHANN AN DOIRE on Fri May 20, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: LOCHNAGAR

Postby ken reid » Fri May 20, 2011 12:53 pm

I enjoyed this report as it reminded me of when I last visited loch nigar, on that ocasion we did the round incompasing 5 munros ending on broad cairn then back down to the car great, was the air sea rescue just practicing or were they needed ? great pics by the way
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby Ian Johnston » Fri May 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Nice pictures!

My favourite way up is, as you've mentioned, via the Glas Allt. It can be difficult to find in the clag if using it as a descent route though. Combining an ascent via the Glas Allt and a descent via the Clais an Rathadan is really nice, or even bothying one side or other of the hill.

Kind regards

Ian

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.com/
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby Bod » Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Like it, like it, one of my favourite and earliest munros....cool seeing the chopper in the coire! :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Great report EACHANN AN DOIRE and some cracking pics, I did this from Loch Muick car park recently and descended via the waterfall back to the loch, that route gives views all around Lochnagar and was really enjoyable :D

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11223
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland