walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blowing around on Grahams above Glen Douglas

Blowing around on Grahams above Glen Douglas

Postby trekpete » Sat May 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 1/5/11
Hills: Beinn Bhreac, Ben Reoch & Tullich Hill
Present: Just Me
Weather: Beautiful blue sky day but a howling flipping gale on the summits :x .
Distance: 7 1/2mls approx
Height Ascended: 3500ft approx
Time taken: 7 1/2hrs. 4hrs 35mins walking, the rest loafing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For many years I have passed through Tarbet heading up further North and looked up at Ben Reoch and thought it must be a good viewpoint. Today, I was going to find out, along with Beinn Bhreac and Tullich Hill. It had been many years since I was last up the narrow road in Glen Douglas, so it was nice to see it again in such fine weather.

Most people seem to park up at Invergroin Farm, but there is a good parking spot for several cars at NS309987 with a convenient gate for setting off up the hill.

Parking spot with Tullich Hill behind.

I set off just after 8am. Through the gate and you head N beside the forest on your right with Tullich in front of you.

Sheltered from the wind here, I was soon building up a sweat walking on the nice dry grass. You soon reach the corner of the forest where you now turn right NE, and things steepen up a bit.

Starting to sweat a bit more now and my face was as red as my shirt. Time for a breather when I reached the end of the forest. There was a Cuckoo calling in the forest for a while, so I imitated the calls for a few mins. It gradually got nearer and nearer, until it broke cover at tree top height. It put the airbrakes on sharpish when it saw me :lol: :lol: . Just imagine the cartoon type of thing and you will laugh just as I did.

View back down the side of the forest.

You more or less just head straight up the hill to the summit from the edge of the forest. There is a ATV track you can follow for a bit before it heads off to the left when the ground get’s steeper.

Panoramic looking back down to Glen Douglas with Doune Hill and Tullich Hill.

The Arrochar Alps come into view.

Doune Hill.

The summit of Beinn Bhreac comes into view.

The summit and Ben Lomond.

As you reach the summit the view across Loch Lomond smacks you in the face and the flipping wind. It was now blowing a flipping hoolie :evil: , but what a viewpoint it is :D .

Tried to find some shelter from the wind amongst the crags, but it seemed to get gusting everywhere. A quick bite to eat and a risky summit pose, as the wind threatened to blow the camera and tripod into oblivion.

A view looking N up Loch Lomond.

Panorama to the N with the days other 2 hills laid out in front of The Arrochar Alps.

If it hadn’t been so windy I think I could have spent much longer up here as it is such a magnificent viewpoint. Don’t think you will get a better view of Loch Lomond unless you take to the skies. Anyway, time for a short detour to explore the crags below the summit.

Some interesting fissures and clefts to fall into under snowy conditions.

A view back to the summit and down Loch Lomond.

After nosing around here for 10mins I returned to the broad ridge leading across to Ben Reoch.

Real easy walking as the ground was pretty dry after the long dry spell, though it looks like it will be fairly wet at other times. A few peat hags to negotiate are the only hazards heading across.

I was making for the spot height 632 for a look before crossing over to Ben Reoch.

Another fine viewpoint it was :D .

View across Loch Lomond with Ben More and Stob Binneinn in the distance.

I quickly headed over to the summit of Ben Reoch, which has less shelter from the wind than Beinn Bhreac had :evil: . Got hunkered down for some lunch before swapping lenses on the camera (never a good idea in windy conditions, as debris seems to head straight for the sensor) for some zoom shots of the surrounding hills.

Across Loch Long to Glen Croe.

The Brack.

The Cobbler.

Beinn Narnain.

A’Chrois with Ben Vane behind.

Cruach Tairbert.

Panoramic of The Cobbler, Beinn Narnainn and A’Chrois.

Ben Lomond.

Despite the wind I was enjoying the day :D . Not much in the way of paths and enjoying the solitude with nobody else around on these fine hills, or so I thought. As I looked back to Beinn Bhreac I could see a large party of walkers heading in my direction :o . Guess they must have summit Bhreac when I was hiding out the wind :lol: . Looking over to Tullich I could now see another large group just reaching the summit there. So much for the solitude now :) .

Back to Beinn Bhreac.

Summit of Ben Reoch. No summit pose as it was just to windy to set the tripod up :x .

Time to get going before I get swamped I thought. There is a line of old fence posts heading Sw from near the summit leading down to the bealach between Reoch and Tullich. Left or right of them does not see to make any difference to the route down, just a few minor crags to avoid with no difficulties involved. I went to the left and it’s really just a steep grass slope and as I was descending I could see the walkers coming down from Tullich at the same time.

Tulllich Hill.

At the bealach looking towards The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain.

I met the other group here and we exchanged a few words about the day, mostly on the wind. The leader was in shorts and tee shirt and was feeling the cold on the summits :lol: .

Ben Reoch and the other walkers having a break.

The day get’s a big thumb’s up from the Gods :D .

As you head up Tullich you have a choice of going left or right to avoid some crags. I chose to go left for no scientific reason :lol: .

View back to Ben Reoch and Beinn Bhreac.

For those of you that may be walking in really warm weather, I found a source of some really good tasting water at NN299010 as I was ascending. As I got by the worst of the crags I took up to my right on some steep ground to reach the plateau area of Tullich Hill. By luck where I topped out it was fairly sheltered from the wind, so I settled down here for a bite to eat before heading onto the summit.

Looking across the plateau to the summit.

This is another fine viewpoint :D . Arrocher Alps on the left and Ben Reoch and Beinn Bhreac on the right.

The walkers I passed topping out on Ben Reoch.

Zoom down to Arrochar.

Beinn Ime.

Enjoying the view to The Arrochar Alps.

As I left my spot to head for the summit, the walkers I had seen coming from Beinn Bhreac started to catch me up. The first one stood in the perfect spot for a photo.

Summit cairn of Tullich Hill.

I met 3 English walkers having a break here. They had been up for a week enjoying the fine weather for a change with no need to don waterproof’s.

Smoke rising from The Trossachs area as the English walkers continue on their way.

By now it was a bit warmer on the summits and the other group of walkers had arrived and settled down behind a ridge of grass near the summit for a rest.

However, the summit is not the best viewpoint as it is flat and a good few meters from the edge of the hill. I had to go looking for a better vantage point :lol: .

Didn’t have to go too far :D .

Taking in the view down Loch Long, and wondering what’s in the bunkers down there.

Back to the summit to pose for the camera.

I was on my own once more and you could feel the solitude, fantastic.

Looking back to Ben Reoch with the smoke increasing from The Trossachs beyond.

Looking across Glen Douglas to The Luss Hills. Some good days been had in there in the past :D .

Straight forward walking down the SE ridge heading back to Invergroin Farm now.

You come to a field gate at NS301997, and after passing through head straight for the farm and you pick up a rough track, before heading to the road just to the W of the farm buildings. It’s just an easy walk on tar back to the day’s starting point.

Last look up to Tullich Hill.

This was a really enjoyable route with outstanding views down Loch Lomond from Beinn Bhreac. If it had not been so windy I reckon I could have spent another couple of hours soaking up the views. I will defo be back for another go sometime and I highly recommend it to the rest of you :D :D :D .
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Re: Blowing around on Grahams above Glen Douglas

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Great report and fantastic pics as always TP, without your description you wouldn't know it was windy - like the thumbs up from the weather gods :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby snodland » Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 pm

That is a wonderful report Trekpete. You have some excellent photos in there to boot. Thanks for that. I have never actually been over the top of Ben Reoch and Tullich. However if there are any low level walkers around, one of the best walks I know is to get the coach/bus to Inverbeg, walk along Glen Douglas to the gates of the Ammo Dump/Blast test site, and then take the path that goes along the side of Loch Long toward Arrochar at NN274002. You get the prospect of The Cobbler,initially covered by the south ridge gradually opening up as you walk further around toward Arrochar. As well as the view down into Arrochar itself and up towards Bens Vane and Vorlich. A wonderful walk and minimal effort as - apart from a short steep bit into Glen Douglas - no big steep gradients.
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 22, 2011 9:23 am

Cracking report - looks like those hills deserve a bit more attention, so accessible too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Sun May 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Strange cloud formations, looks like you used a long shutter speed to get those pics, I really enjoyed this report, especially the pics of the Cobbler.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby trekpete » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 pm

The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:Strange cloud formations, looks like you used a long shutter speed to get those pics, I really enjoyed this report, especially the pics of the Cobbler.

Natural cloud formations. It was far too windy to set up the tripod for slow shutter speeds to get creative effects. Took a serious chance with it just getting myself in the shots, it was nearly over on it's ear a few times with the gust's :lol:
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland