walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell Three

The Cairnwell Three

Postby Dunfie » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 21/05/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 320m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was out this morning with my son Cameron to keep his munro tally ticking along. We wanted to head over to Crainlarich and climb Ben More and Stob Binian but the forecast for the Southwest Highlands meant that we would have postpone that ambition for at least another week (we are more fair weather walkers). However yesterday the forecast indicated that we might get lucky by heading up towards Glenshee early doors and knocking off the Cairnwell Three. It was going to be a bit windy but as the hills are fairly easy we felt it was too good a chance to miss.

The reports of this walk are not flattering and in reality it does seem strange walking in a ski resort but we made the best of it and enjoyed the mornings walk. The climb up to both Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell from the carpark appear a bit industrial but the walk out to Carn a' Gheoidh is very nice and you soon leave the ski lifts behind and get a chance to experience the remote atmosphere.

To beat the weather we left Dunfermline at 6:45 and we must have been on the hill for about 8:15 as we got to the summit of Carn Aosda for 8:45 (we celebrated out earliest ever monro with some fruit and nut). The cloud had come over by this point and the wind was showing its teeth so we stopped long enough for me to fumble the photo and then it was off again.

The start of the walk up to Carn Aosda from the Ski Centre

Cameron stopping long enough for me to register the first of the day.

We then started on the path towards Carn a' Gheoidh and the cloud cleared and allowed us the first views across Loch Vrotachan towards the west.

Loch Vrotachan

When we joined the path to Carn a' Gheoidh we started to really enjoy ourselves. On exposed parts the wind made it challenging but we kept our heads down and made for the summit. Although it was clear at the top the light wasn't very good and as the wind was so strong the pictures were not as sharp as I would like.

Carn a' Gheoidh cairn (its hard to smile when your face is numb from the wind)

View of The Cairnwell across the corrie on the way back from Carn a' Gheoidh

The final push was suprisingly hard work up to the Cairnwell and when the reached the top, the wind whistling through the metal frame was quite daunting. However we were lucky as it was clear at the top and managed to get a couple of photos of our earlier summits.

Carn a' Gheoidh from The Cairnwell

Carn Aosda from The Cairnwell

Cameron on our final summit of the day.

We descended beside the chairlift and made it to the botton for 11:45 and popped into the cafe for a well earned hot lunch.

Two Cheeseburgers and Chips Please :D
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: The Cairnwell Three

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Good effort in that wind Dunfie - I was up there on Thursday and except for a few showers it was great, looks like you took the same route as me too, I really enjoyed the place and from the looks of things so did Cameron :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Dunfie » Sat May 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks Chris, we did have a good time. We had written the day off so to get a decent mornings exercise was brilliant. It looks like you saw a bit more sun that us - some great photos. 8)
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun May 22, 2011 3:26 pm

worth going along to Carn Bhinnein top off of Carn a' Gheoidh on these three. Highlight of the round and a great view of Gleann Teatnitch and Glas Tulac....
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:worth going along to Carn Bhinnein top off of Carn a' Gheoidh on these three. Highlight of the round and a great view of Gleann Teatnitch and Glas Tulac....

I did notice that on the map and it looked like an easy enough extension to the walk. However the wind was pretty stiff and we were racing to get off the hill before the rain came (we managed that by about 15 minutes).
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Nice use of a wee weather window to grab these three - not the most appealing round on the Munro circuit but they have their time and their place. At least the walk over to Carn a' Gheoidh has a decent sense of remoteness about it.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland