walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh

Creag Meagaidh

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 am

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 16/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1240m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned on doing a long walk from Glen Feshie to Cairn Toul and Angels Peak but from Kingussie I could see there was still a lot of snow on the backside of Braeriach and so made a last minute decision to head to Creag Meagaidh. A long walk itself but hopefully snow free.

Set off from Aberarder at 10am and soon worked up a heat. Really good walking temperature with a light cool breeze and warm when the sun was out. Made it to Lochan a' Choire after about 90mins along the fabulous path. I have read and seen that this path used to be a bit boggy but not now (not the day I did it anyway) - well made, well drained and easy to walk on. Anyway, what a stunning place with terrifying cliffs and the silent lochan! There was a short and light shower here while I took my first break.

Coire Ardair.jpg
Coire Ardair 2.jpg
apologies for the blown out sky - not great photographic conditions

As I headed up to the Window the shower passed and the sun came out where it would remain for most of the day :D. After the brutal winter there has been there was much loose rock and routefinding took a little care to avoid sending any unwelcome deliveries to walkers below me. A little stupidly I ascended a bit early out The Window on some very steep ground and scree instead of continuing to the easier proper path. However, very soon I was on the summit plateau and passed Mad Meg's on the way to the summit cairn.

Cornice.jpg
summit plateau.jpg

I was trying to avoid the soft snow patches to keep my trail shoes dry-ish - only partially successfully. The views W and N were amazing and I could pick out Ben Wyvis and Sgurr na Ciche (everything in between was a bit vague). Fortunately, the sun was out and in the lee of the summit I was able to have a boots and socks off lunch break with great views to Grey Corries, Loch Treig, Scheihallion, Cairngorms etc etc etc (I have rode my luck with the weather this year...).

Loch Treig Munros.jpg

Back to The Window and just 5 minutes walking brought me to the unassuming summit of Stob Coire Poite Ardair. I said hello and had wee chat to a group from Aberdeen who were having break overlooking Coire Ardair.

Coire Ardair 3.jpg

From here it was just a case of one foot in front of the other on the 5km walk to Carn Liath. There is not much of interest on this section but the views were more than enough to keep me occupied.

Carn Liath.jpg

It had clouded over a little to the W but the view S and E were still impressive. I reached the summit of CL at 3:45pm, about 2h30mins from CM.

Loch Laggan.jpg

It was now time for my least favourite part of any walk - the descent. Maybe it's my short legs but I descend really slowly and, I must admit, rather unelegantly. After my usual slipping, stumbling and cursing, I picked up a little used path following a line of fence posts which made the going easier and, eventually, brought me down to the outward path. I must haVE got some bizarre 2nd wind after emptying my shoes of heather, as I jogged the last 1km back to the car :? .

Did I say this was a great day? The approach to Coire Ardair and the amazing views will stay with me for a long time :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Creag Meagaidh

Postby Stretch » Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 am

Nice! We were up Stob Ban and the Grey Corries Sunday and I could see out your way as well. I'm hoping to do these three this weekend if the weather plays nice again. Coire Ardair looks like a fine play to try some more HDR images :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 am

Nice one Leithy - the path into Core Ardair is excellent isn't it? I think this hill is really something with its Winter claes on - would recommend if you go back up again.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby gedme » Sun May 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Great photos and well written, Meagaidh was my first munro going back in august to do it again so great to read about it thanks for sharing.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm

The summit of Creag Meagaidh is huge you could play a game of football up there, amazing how much snow there still is.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Great report Leithy and some beautiful pics of that stunning scenery - I've just moved these munros up my list - love your pic of Coire Ardair so much I put the sky back on it to see what it looked like :D

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Sun May 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Nice report and some great pictures, which I will find useful when I venture on to these hills. This is a walk that has been on my 'to-do' list for too long now. I actually had this planned for today ........ until my alternator decided to duff my car on route early doors :evil: So it was another weekend without a walk for me :( I hope I get similar weather to you, but with Scottish summer time being what it is ....... I'm not holding my breath :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby brpro26 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 pm

The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:The summit of Creag Meagaidh is huge you could play a game of football up there, amazing how much snow there still is.

Now there's an idea??? anyone for a high altittude WH's 5's tourney...rucksacks as goals!!!

Surprised how much snow is retained up there. Still got to keep it in mind. Saving this for the summer months.

Great report and pics. :thumbup:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 pm

brpro26 wrote:
Surprised how much snow is retained up there. Still got to keep it in mind. Saving this for the summer months.

Great report and pics. :thumbup:

Cheers, but I did it a year ago :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby HighlandSC » Mon May 23, 2011 9:36 am

:? I fooled myself into thinking it was 2010 until your comment Leithy!

Nice report anyway, it's a fine circuit. I did it in reverse and ripped my waterproof trousers slipping while descending from the window.
Coire Ardair and the path through the glen is fantastic.
Like kev says, it would be a great winter hill (his report on it is great), and i'll probably return then. Being one of Scotlands most popular climbing venues I'd also like to watch the ice climbers do their stuff there.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland