walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

lochnagar from Glendoll Lodge

lochnagar from Glendoll Lodge

Postby x66pmc » Sun May 22, 2011 10:59 am

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/05/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 31.8 km

Ascent: 1155m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First 5 Munro in day ascent. Took my pet dog (Siberian Husky) with me this time. "mac" He loved every moment of it apart from the horizontal rain that felt like hail stones half way through.....
Started from the car park at Glendoll lodge and took the Valley up to the Lambing Shed. Then took a left to go around the 5 Munros in a clockwise fashion..... Found a broken Aeroplane part down from Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, proceeded from that point to the fourth when the weather pulled in and the rain became horizontal, wind became feirce and it felt like Hailstones on face......
Headed to Lochnagar, only to find 10meter whiteout, so unfortunately, no stunning views...... (Weather was really kicking in) but 5 Munros completed so decent to car park was next...... Instead of following path down we took a slightly different route, to the Waterfalls at Loch Buick. This was a stunning scenery walk and as the loch came into view (even though very windy) was still an amazing sight to see.....
Other side of loch Buick for the cruelling ascent up the side to the Lambing shed to then head back to carpark via valley to take the very tired and sore pawed Husky back home as for his first Munro ascent he was amazing and loved every moment of it..... As like anybody he was shattered and slept all the way home....... :thumbup:

Paul
Attachments
Broad Cairn.JPG
Lochnagar.JPG
White Mounth 05-11 014.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by x66pmc on Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x66pmc
Stravaiging

Munros:14   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:22

Re: lochnagar from Glendoll Lodge

Postby skuk007 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Shame about the weather x66pmc, never get tired of seeing photos of Lochnagar. That's a fair old distance covered too.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby x66pmc » Tue May 24, 2011 12:13 pm

It was an intriguing walk, nice place to start from albeit a little further, but whats a few miles added on considering the daylight is there for a while... My Husky is already for another few Munros, i think he wants to do them all, could be interesting on some of them...
x66pmc
Stravaiging

Munros:14   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:22

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 pm

What a beautiful dog, must be a great companion on the hills, I take it he doesn't feel the cold.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland