walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor on a 4 season day.

Buachaille Etive Mor on a 4 season day.

Postby kw1980 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 14/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first walk of the year, returning to my favourite corner of the country. It had been a while since I had seen my walking buddies, now no longer working together. Our motley crew consisted of myself and friends Bobby, Lee and Tommy. After a quick drive up we arrived in Glen Coe at around 9am and parked up at Lagangarbh, the weather was all over the place, with bouts of heavy rain and high winds being interspersed with glorious sunshine.
DSC_0001.JPG
First look, with a hint of a rainbow.

DSC_0004.JPG
The way up.

A short haul later and we were on the bealach at the head of Coire na Tulaich just in time for the cloud to descend and obscure our path to Stob Dearg, the winds were gusting as we assailed the summit, but not enough to give us a break in the wall of white. Mass disappointment all round as we were all eager to gaze out at the vast Rannoch Moor from surely the best vantage point
DSC_0015.JPG
Halfway up the coire

DSC_0028.JPG
View from Stob Dearg summit

No sooner had we retraced our steps to the bealach than the summit of Stob Dearg cleared! :( Typical, just gives me an excuse to return, not that I need much of one. By now the sun had come out and was painting the landscape with some awe inspiring colours and sights in all directions. This is why we do this, absolutely fantastic.
DSC_0040.JPG
Looking ahead to Stob na Doire

DSC_0045.JPG
Looking North from slopes of Stob na Doire

DSC_0049.JPG
Lee & Tommy with Lairig Gartain and Stob Dubh in the background

DSC_0052.JPG
Me with Buachaille Etive Beag behind

DSC_0060.JPG
Looking out to Rannoch Moor

We took a stop at the high point of Stob na Doire just as the heavens opened and treated us with stinging hail and a flurry of snow to complete our weather conditions for one day. What a country. :D Then followed quite a descent down a fairly steep side of Stob na Doire and past the bags of stones at the start of the escape route down to Lairig Gartain.
DSC_0074.JPG
Formidable looking Stob na Doire

DSC_0089.JPG
Rainbow in Lairig Gartain

As we made our way across the last section of ridge towards our 2nd munro of the day we were assaulted again by gusting winds and driving rain, only abating as we were turning back at Stob na Broige's cairn. We made a relatively straight forward descent in warm sunshine, even removing a few layers as the temperature rose.
DSC_0092.JPG
Bobby at Stob na Broige summit

DSC_0100.JPG
Looking down to Glen Etive

The walk back to the car was long and enjoyable, never the less we were glad to get the packs off and head to the Kingshouse for a few refreshments and began planning our next meetup in the hills.
kw1980
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor on a 4 season day.

Postby Bod » Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 am

What a great day out, and every day is unique as you suggest. Love the colours tooo....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 24, 2011 10:40 pm

So that's what Stob na Doire looks like :? . Cheers :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby colgregg » Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Despite the spells of driving rain, at least it wasn't a constant downpour, it looks like you got some fine views. That in my book is a result. What a way to dry out, too, over a few pints.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland