walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Lake Powell - Arizona

USA - Lake Powell - Arizona

by ChrisW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Date walked: 08/07/2009

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 70m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: USA - Lake Powell - Arizona

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Will you have a spare room? And how much are flights? A single will be fine, no need to go overboard with the expense of a return ticket! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Will you have a spare room? And how much are flights? A single will be fine, no need to go overboard with the expense of a return ticket! :lol:

We usually have enough space for family to visit when we move around (except our current spot as we are 'home') so when we get out there and the family aren't visiting there will be space and it would be wrong to waste it, through my Mrs may want you to leave after a reasonable length of time :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 pm

In the end a more practical compromise was struck, and that area was legislated into a lawn. To this day, it is regularly irrigated, mowed weekly and lovingly tended. All thanks to Lady Bird Johnson.

That's awesome, I never gave that a close look (dammit) now I feel like I missed something. :lol: :lol: I really liked Page and hope to go back there, I will definitely go back to southern Utah (anywhere south of I-70 but the Moab area is like heaven to me) I still have a lot of US reports to add but am too busy to sort pics and upload right now.

Might add catwalk canyon, Gila forest, painted desert and petrified forest just to show a few more of the lesser know areas.

When I move to Canada (fingers crossed) later this year I intend to drive down the rockies for a few weeks stopping at various spots along the way...can't wait :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ndhudson » Wed May 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Great report! :) I love to hear what people from around the world think of this kind of land. I know this area well...spent my childhood exploring 100's of miles of southern Utah deserts with my dad. Fabulous part of the country! If you ever get back to Utah, shoot me a note and I will tell you where all the great secret gem hikes can be found...very much off-the-beaten path. :wink:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 pm

ndhudson wrote:Great report! :) I love to hear what people from around the world think of this kind of land. I know this area well...spent my childhood exploring 100's of miles of southern Utah deserts with my dad. Fabulous part of the country! If you ever get back to Utah, shoot me a note and I will tell you where all the great secret gem hikes can be found...very much off-the-beaten path. :wink:

Thanks ND - I loved Utah, it is by far my favourite state - I visited (stayed in and actually did something) in 42 different states but southern Utah was the place for me (anywhere south of I70 really).

I will be moving to Calgary soon and the Canadian Rockies may give Utah a run for its money, but for now it is my favourite place on earth, the Moab area in particular :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ndhudson » Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 pm

ChrisW wrote:Thanks ND - I loved Utah, it is by far my favourite state - I visited (stayed in and actually did something) in 42 different states but southern Utah was the place for me (anywhere south of I70 really).

I will be moving to Calgary soon and the Canadian Rockies may give Utah a run for its money, but for now it is my favourite place on earth, the Moab area in particular :D
[/quote]

Wow, you are quite the wanderer! I lived in Moab for one summer (not as good as visiting - a little pretentious) and I have spent a bit of time in Calgary (Banff area), though it's been quite a long time. You'll love it! BUT, Utah is still better. Hee hee! Keep an eye out next week for a TR from me for a place called Notch Peak Utah. It's in the west deserts of central Utah...the second highest vertical drop in the country (next to El Capitan).
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland